May 31, 2017

Eat Right


My wife and I just got back from a trip to Asia. One of our tasks was finding vegan food for me to eat 3 times a day. It's actually fairly easy to do. In Seoul, we would go to the main Buddhist temple called Jogyesa to eat lunch. They have a nice little restaurant that sells only vegan food. It is served in a buffet style, all you can eat. At the end of the meal, one has to bus their own table. Yun pointed out a sign to me. It read, "If you return your tray with any food on it, you will be fined one dollar." I should point out that they were quite serious. This hit me like a thunderbolt. What a brilliant idea. It really made me stop and think. When given the all you can eat route, most people will try to over indulge and end up throwing out what couldn't be scarfed down. In this place, food was treated as extremely precious. Imagine if this was actually made to be a law in every country. It would surely make people take notice their proportion intake. Buddhists have been trying to show us the way for a few thousand years. I'm only just catching up.

3 comments:

Mike Szwarc said...

I like the effect of the black ink stripe with white ink line on it.

I'm not a vegan, but I agree 100% that food should be regarded as precious. I'm always appalled when I hear news reports that American families throw away an average of 500 lbs. of food a year. My wife and I use every scrap of food, and vegetable trimmings go to feed our chickens, or are composted. Been doing that for 30 years.

assignmentman service said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Definitely food is precious. Everyone go out there wanted good food for him.

Nancy P said...

Such a great idea!