Jan 26, 2017

Subway Riders


I moved to Manhattan several decades ago. After work one night, I was heading to the subway. There is a big multi lane crosswalk through Times Square. As I began to cross, I spotted a very familiar face staring at me from way on the other side. Instantly I realized it was one of my grammar school teachers. It had been so long since I'd last seen her that I couldn't quite find her name in my head. Was it Miss Jenny or Mrs. Lafferty or Mrs. McCullum? It wasn't coming to me. As we got closer to each other, her eyes were now locked on mine. It scared me a little because I really didn't know her name and I was embarrassed. The look she was giving me was puzzling though. Now we were upon each other and had been staring the whole time. She must have thought I was nuts too, the way I was gaping at her. The moment of truth arrived and she just walked right by me. I couldn't believe I couldn't remember one of my teachers names. I was ashamed but in a flash it came to me. It was Mary Tyler Moore. It wasn't one of my teachers at all. That's why she looked so familiar. Then I realized that I was the only one who recognized her. That is why she locked eyes on me. She was trying to tell me with her eyes, not to say out loud, "hey it's Mary Tyler Moore!" Thankfully I didn't. Anyway that was my NYC encounter with the great actress. When I saw her I just felt she was someone important to me and I guess from watching her shows as a kid, she was. These are a few quick sketches I've done on the subway recently.

7 comments:

Susan said...

Nice story...and I love the phrase, "I couldn't find her name in my head". Well said. Only in NYC.

kane said...

True

Mike Szwarc said...

Looks like quite a few Nova Scotians ride the subway in New York.

Ed Byrne said...

For a second I thought you meant you actually had a teacher named "Mary Tyler Moore".
It never dawned on me you could have seen the real person.
Ed Beard

kane said...

You crack me up Ed.

Ed Byrne said...

Haa ha
Ed Beard

Heni Herbal said...

Good afternoon were so hot but happy because have presented useful information once
Pengobatan Alternatif Turun Berok Secara Tradisional
Cara Alami Mengobati Flek Paru-Paru Pada Anak
Apakah Penyakit Liver Mematikan
Biaya Operasi Gendang Telinga Pecah
Makanan Sehat Bisa Untuk Penderita Gagal Ginjal