Oct 17, 2016

Sock It To Me


The other day I had a dental appointment. There was time to kill beforehand so I sat on a Brooklyn stoop to enjoy the afternoon autumn sun. Women of all ages passed by where I was sitting. Everyone of them gave me a big smile and said hello. Even though I just got a shave and haircut, it didn't seem reason enough for all of them to be so smiley and friendly with me. A particularly beautiful girl turned the corner and I could see her looking at me and smiling from ear to ear. Finally she stopped right in front of where I was sitting and said, "I love your socks." I was wearing a pair that were bright orange with small black polka dots. My sneakers were army green old school Adidas with orange threads and orange highlights. You get the idea. Take into account my groovy hat, fancyboy scarf and stovepipe pants with hand-sewn fabric around the cuffs. It was at that moment that I realized it was my style they were in love with and not really me. Oh well, I'll take it.