Jul 1, 2016

Kane's Eye View


Everyone and their mother is now a sketchbook artist. My interweb is flooded with the drawings people do. It's nice and all except everything looks the same. Most days I have to tune it all out. The images are usually of buildings and landscapes. Artists sit and do them onsite or work from photos they found or took. It has become hard to tell one drawing from the next. My approach is to attempt to stand out which takes a lot of energy. This is a sketch I did of New York city. It is a combination of very close up details, mixed with very wide shots of Manhattan. I'm sure in 2 weeks everyone will be doing this, so I'll have to come up with something else for all to copy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck you. Just do your stuff and keep your opinion of other people's stuff to yourself.

Anonymous said...

<3 Love you, your post, and this amazing drawing!

Helen W said...

I'm so sad you feel that way at the moment, and I hope things will change for you. I think your work is stunning, and the way you have previously encouraged people to take up sketching has been heartwarming, generous and very supportive. You are a hero for so many, myself included. I truly hope it will stay that way. Best of luck.

Helen W said...

Ps: I hope you're okay.

Patricia said...

unsubscribing...

Peggasus said...

Get over yourself. Everyone who likes or want to draw has to meet your standards? Because you're the best that ever was? No, you're not. You've gotten awfully preachy lately, maybe you need a cheeseburger. Sheesh.

Liz Van Buren said...

Wow. What an utter about-face from a formerly extremely nice guy. So sad.

Anonymous said...

Aren't you getting paid by places like sketchbook skool to teach people how to draw? To be a mentor. To encourage everyone to have a go. This post sends a confusing message. I'm sad too.

Andrew said...

I can't believe some people haven't grasped Tommy's cynical sense of humour. Great drawing, I'm heading out the door to do my own version.