Mar 28, 2016

Vegan Fish


Vegetables are the new fish. The past few summers I went out a few times deep sea fishing on a charter boat when I was at the New Jersey shore. Each time we would hardly catch anything. A few sea robins, stingrays, some dogfish and an occasional bass. I just figured it was bad luck. Over time, one of the mates got to know me. I asked him about the bad luck we seemed to have when I was aboard. He took me to the side and said, "we don't really catch fish anymore. The rising water temperatures combined with over-fishing, this is the results every time out." I was stunned. It's one thing to read about this stuff in the papers but another to see just how bad it's become in person. He told me in summer's past, they would be killing it each time, coming home with a boat load of fish. Now barely anything. The only thing I eat from the ocean these days is seaweed. My friend Frankie Vigilante recently gave me a book to read about Buddhism. It's by of all people, Jeff Bridges. He states in the book that he learned about ocean gyres, which are large spirals of currents. There are five gyres in the world's oceans and a couple of them are filled with plastic bags, bottles and all kinds of stuff. The material is indestructible. We say it's biodegradable, but it's not, it just breaks down into smaller and smaller bits that microscopic animals eat. Fish eat them, then we eat the fish. We're addicted to these bottles and bags, it's kind of insane. I just hope the seaweed I'm consuming is not eating any of this too.

2 comments:

Nikira said...

Awesome drawing and story!

Serena Lewis said...

Wonderful drawing, Tommy!

They are saying the we will have fishless oceans by 2048 if we keep going with over-fishing and polluting of the oceans. I watched a video concerning the problem with plastic in our oceans and it was downright scary. I will check out the book you mentioned. You may find this website of interest - http://www.plasticoceans.net/ I have cut our plastic usage to very minimal and I use recyclable bags for shopping all the time. Every little bit helps and I know more and more people are making positive changes too.