Jan 18, 2016

The New James Jean


There is a million people who do this drawing in sketchbooks thing. One person is head and heels above the rest. His name is James Jean. He is the very best and no one else comes close. In fact, I could make a case that he is the greatest artist in America right now. This innocuous drawing is one I recently did on a plane trip to Florida. It may not seem like one of my most fantastic drawings. When I finished it though, I came to a realization. I have become James Jean. The problem is, I have not become the genius James Jean of today. When I looked at this sketch, I saw the James Jean sketchbooks of 14 years ago. Although I will never be good enough to tie his shoes, my admiration for his work has lifted what I do to great heights. All of you may see a nice drawing of a little old lady on a plane during sunrise, I SEE how far I've come.

5 comments:

Karen Z said...

Seeing our own progress and paying homage to those who have influenced us is a critical part of the artist's journey. Here's to you, sir!

sherylmcdougald said...

One day, Grasshopper...
Personally I hope one day to be as good as you... and then James Jean. Or maybe Roz, because she is genius too. It could happen. :)

Anonymous said...

I think I did that sudoku. She is better at it than me.
Ed Beard

Jon Pietz said...

Hi Tommy,

I recently came across James Jean's sketchbook drawings and have been really enjoying his masterful pen and brush strokes. In fact, I like his sketchbooks better than his finished paintings/illustrations.

Yes, there's genius in his art that we all envy—but I still get a tremendous amount of joy from the work you do. And while there's an undeniable sensuality in his work, there's love seeping out of every one of your drawings. And that's what makes yours unique (along with the awesome cross hatching).

Jon

hank said...

Apples and oranges.