Jan 25, 2016

Old School


My childhood friend, Jimmy Douglass (who is a comic genius by the way) recently went on a Facebook rant about our old neighborhood growing up. I hadn't thought about this stuff in 4 decades. He remembered every candy store, shop, deli, shoe maker and the lunatics who owned and operated them. Imagine your mom making you go get a haircut as a kid but the problem is, the guy cutting your hair is named "Screwy Louie." No wonder I have no hair left. It made me reminisce. I passed an art store recently and saw they had a Spirograph set in the window, so I bought it. This is my first goofy try at using it. I plan to do some experimenting. We'll see what I come up. It's all thanks to Jimmy.

5 comments:

Mike Szwarc said...

More Kane Koolness! I always wanted a Spirograph as a kid, but never got one. Bummer.

kane said...

Not too late

Michellem said...

I used to love using the Spirograph at my grandma's house. Never could master the patterns where you took the gear around the outside of the big ring or those crazy skinny ones. It was all about finishing a pattern without letting your gears slip - life was simple then. . .

Sherry Crocker said...

Hey, Tommy. I found your blog through Pintrest, your 2010 post on Hasidic Brooklyn. I don't have a lot of time to wade back five years but I am curious how it all turned out. Have you thought about adding an archive widget to make it easier to go through past posts?

kane said...

There is a search button in the far top left hand corner of the blog above the header. All blogs should have it. Just typae anything in and it should come up..