Apr 20, 2015

Bird Street



There is a street in Hong Kong known as bird street. People love birds in the Kong. This street is closed off to cars. The old men actually bring their bird cages from their house and take their birds to this place. They even have poles where the cages can be hung. Along this street are stores that sell birds. Yellow cages are stacked everywhere with different kinds of exotic birds of every shape, color and size. There are even perches built into the street where there are parrots sitting. I was looking at a giant fish tank when I noticed something moving. As I got closer I realized there were a million live crickets inside. They are bird food. The whole scene was from another planet. I was inside one of these bird shops and I took out my camera to film. All of a sudden, someone grabbed my arm very firmly. They yanked me outside quickly. It was a boy about 12 years old. I thought I did something wrong. Maybe I shouldn't be filming. A man came up to me and apologized. He said his son was autistic but for some reason he liked me a lot. The boy held my arm and walked me around the street introducing me to everyone. The father said that a few years before he met someone from Australia. I reminded him of that guy. He started to call me Mister Wong, which was fine because I sort of look like a Mister Wong. The son was going through all my drawing stuff and looking at my sketchbooks. He then pulled me to a spot and he made me sit on my folding chair. Then he went and sat on a rock in front of me. All the old men laughed because they realized he wanted me to draw him. So I obliged. I must say I nailed him perfectly to the delight of everyone. It was a magical place and my new friend made my day even better.

8 comments:

Mike Szwarc said...

Wonderful story, Mr. Wong!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wong, I think that will be my new online alias.
Ed Beard
I love that kid.

Marie said...

Well I already loved your work and now I love it even more. Thank you from a mom of a young man with autism.

sandy said...

Mr. Wong, I would love to see the drawing of that boy! While in HK I saw those bamboo bird cages stuffed with finches-literally! I thought they were putting them in the stew pot.

kane said...

I would love everyone to call me Mr. Wong from now on.

Patti said...

Great story Mr Wong!

Tereza Dlouhá said...

Like it! You have nice style of art.

Darlene Campbell said...

Mr. Wong you are never wrong. So right on with this awesome story.