Feb 4, 2015

Reading Mantel





Lately I have been reading the books of Hilary Mantel, or at least trying. I slogged through "Wolf Hall". Then I zipped through "Bringing Up the Bodies". Lastly I just did "A Place Of Greater Safety". Man, was that a hard thousand pages. It was way over my reading level. So was "Wolf Hall" for that matter. Anyway once I started, I had to keep going and read the three. Anything I read now will seem easy by comparison. When I was drawing at the MET the other day, I spotted this armor owned by Mister Henry the 8th himself. For those who don't know, that is what Mantel loves to write about. I may try a few Dr. Seuss books next.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most excellent beard growing ability. I haven't had one in decades, my wife wont let me.
Ed Beard

kane said...

Mine won't let me either but I just had to do one to see what was going on there.

Anonymous said...

How agile could they be in these suits? He must've been about your height and overweight....I guess others dressed him...love the pieces you've been doing...Mad Magazine is still excellent reading...

Anonymous said...

Your beard makes you look old...not hot.

Anonymous said...

That beard is hot as hell. I'd hide in that Henry the 8th armor (it is my size) to watch you sketch all day. I mean this in the platonic sense of course.

Ed Beard

Patricia Wafer said...

Hi, Tommy - I'm so glad to see you made it thru the first 2 Mantel Cromwell books. I am sorry you found Wolf Hall a slog but glad the next one went a bit quicker and I hope you mostly enjoyed it? They are my favorite books of the last 10 years and I don't even like historical fiction. I notice that Ms. Mantell is speaking a couple time in NY in March about the stage version of Wolf Hall. The TV series will be on PBS in April. It has gotten good reviews in the UK so it should be fun. I promise not to recommend anymore books to you but there is a little one called "War and Peace" that you might check out some day. And the book is way better than the movie. Love YOUR book, too!! Pat

Pierre BRODY said...

Excuse please my bad English
In this photograph you seem a gentleman farmer with your beard. You could posess let say a castle ans have a collection of such armors. I still apreciate your sketches !