Oct 15, 2014

My Best



This Tuscany drawing is my "paste of resistance." That's French for, really great tomato paste. It's of, the Duomo in Florence. It took me 2 sittings to finish it. I put in every detail I could find. My friend Michelangelo was also an artist who liked to put in every detail. Him and I are detail guys. When he built The David, he gave him a big head of curly hair. The hair juts out over his forehead and hangs above his eyebrows. He did this for a specific reason. Michelangelo knew the David would be displayed in public. He also knew pigeons like to sit on the heads of statues. So if a pigeon sat on David's head and he took a poop, it would completely miss David's face on the way down. He thought of every detail. When I was doing this painting of the Duomo, I purposely wore a groovy hat. As I painted, I hunched over my drawing. I too, know that pigeons like to fly over me and go to the bathroom. BUT there would have been no way it could have hit my watercolor paper as I was protecting it. Me and the Mich are very much alike. Friday I will post a little film I made of Tuscany and me drawing there. I suggest you watch it.

4 comments:

├čeulah ├čee said...

I've really enjoyed your drawings from Italy and the stories behind them. I think maybe you were a comedian in another life?

kane said...

In this life

Anonymous said...

I may have been in a vaudevillian pie throwing act in a previous life.
Ed beard

blandina said...

Ahahah, I love the theory on David's hair!