Oct 6, 2014

Japanese Pens In An Italian town



I noticed something a little sad in Italy. It's the inseparable combination of young people and cigarettes. Yun and I took a train from Florence to Pisa. The train was full of high school and college kids. At every stop, all the kids on the train, jumped up and went outside for a smoke. The platform was always full of them. They would all pile back on, stinking like crazy. I'm not sure there was even one kid NOT doing it. I thought the anti-smoking thing would have taken a little more of a foothold in Italy but I guess it has not made a dent at all. On another note, I did notice something great in Pisa. No one honks their car horn. It must be a law. Obviously everyone in town is a tourist. They greatly limit the number of cars that can drive around in the main part of the city and near the tower. The streets are always full of people walking. Yet when cars or taxis get behind someone, they don't beep at all. They just go very slowly until the people walking realize a car is behind them and then they slowly pass. I wish the whole world was more like that.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Sounds like here in Hawaii. (not the smoking- the letting pedestrians pass unhonked)

blandina said...

Older people gave up smoking but for the young ones smoking is still a sign that you are grown up!

kiranji said...

nice blog...