Oct 22, 2014

I Scream, You Scream



Ever since I was a little kid, I've had an obsession with ice cream trucks. I guess in some way, we all do. We've been trained since we were little to jump up and go crazy when we hear the bells of an ice cream truck. How about that dumb song, the Mr. Softee truck plays. My friend, Reid Paley who lives in Williamsburg, said that Mr. Softee used to park under his apartment window everyday in the summer. The song playing for hours each day nearly drove him to insanity. Secretly we've had our brains infiltrated like Pavlov's dogs. One of the first ice cream trucks ever on Long Island was, Bungalow Bar. The truck was shaped like the Good Humor truck except it had an actual roof that looked like a house on top of it. The door to the truck was a white picket fence gate. In my hood when the truck came around, we used to sing a jingle that we made up. It went like this, "Bungalow Bar tastes like tar. The more you eat it, the dumber you are." Who could not love ice cream with a theme song like that? No wonder I ended up in advertising.

6 comments:

theailurophile said...

WANT!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! Great drawing! Always loved when the ice cream man came around.
Ed Beard

kane said...

Still do.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Houston - somewhat poor neighborhood. Highlight of the day was the ice cream truck and my favorite was a dreamsicle. Love the character of your drawings!

Tricia

gulmina khan said...

Thanks a lot for your information.Also Visit This great site to sell your work
Sell Your Artwork

Anonymous said...

In my neighborhood we called them "the jingle jipp."