Oct 3, 2014

Don't Copy Me



I possess a weird quality when it comes to drawing. It's called self torture. This watercolor painting was done in a Moleskine sketchbook. It is a sketchbook not meant for watercolor paints. In fact, if you try to use them, it won't work. The paper will reject it. Does that stop me? No. I wrestle, fight, punch, scream and kick the damn book with my paintbrush until I finally succeed. It's a nightmare but I do it anyway because I have some screws loose. The problem is, other artists always write to me saying that they can't paint in moleskine sketchbooks like I do. Is there a trick I use? Is it really a different kind of book that I am using? This line of questioning is endless. I like helping fellow artists out, so I try to answer everyone's questions. The simple fact is, I do something no other artist should. PLEASE don't try this at home. Get yourself some kind of watercolor sketchbook and do it in there. Thank you.

5 comments:

Josee Laplante said...

haha! Its so funny, I've tried watercolor in my Moleskine sketchbook and got so frustrated! I moved on to a watercolor sketchbook afterwards... but kept drawing in my sketchbook!

Nick Lee said...

I started on Moleskine sketchbooks and thought that was just how it was supposed to go. When I switched to a watercolor sketchbook, my face lit up with a "Is this how it's supposed to go?!" look.

Anonymous said...

A six-pack of Johnny Walker Blue gallons? What were you on your way to doing? Hosting a Bilderberg Meeting?

Anonymous said...

Bourbon Tommy Boubon!
http://barrycomersblog.com

Tony Latham said...

Okay, so I love the randomness of the floating traffic light and walk sign. Only you. Johnny Walker by the gallon in six pack , is this a clever new version of the Super Size me film?
BTW, I ran out and bought several Moleskine sketchbooks, after you managed to change my brain chemistry in Sketchbook Skool! Well, I love them, even the wrestling part with the water colors. Does this make me as twisted as you? One can only hope......