Nov 12, 2013

Veteran's Day





I had a day off so I got motivated and went to the Museum of Natural History. The best thing to draw is the stuffed animals in the dioramas. As I sit there drawing, I get to overhear conversations. I was surprised at the amount of people who don't know it's real stuffed animals. They question the proper size of the animals as if the Museum recreated the animal using fake materials and then screwed up the sizes. One kid watching me draw, told his mom that I should try to get a job as an artist. Another kid asked if he could take my drawing book home with him. I gave him some squirrel stickers instead. I was surprised that amongst all the dioramas of lions, cheetahs, giraffes and gorillas, there was not a single diorama of squirrels. New Yorkers may have to raise some money to upgrade the museum, if you know what I mean.

3 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

I'm really disappointed you're not giving away your sketchbooks, Tommy! The comments with your drawings always make me laugh, these ones were a hoot!

Joe Nevin said...

I'm glad they haven't managed to whack any squirrels and stuff them.

One day, when the squirrels finally take over, things will be veeeeeeeeeery different, you'll see.

Planet Of The Squirrels.

PS: I won a drawing medal for drawing a stuffed duck in the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow - you shouldn't get medals for drawing, it's just silly.

Angela said...

I love that museum, but it always puzzled me that many of their labels say "Australia & Tasmania". That would be the same as saying "USA & Hawaii". they definitely need more squirrels. Doesn't everywhere?