Sep 18, 2013

Off The Beaten Path



Coca Cola is everywhere in Peru. As you ride in trains and drive around the mountains, you see the Coca Cola logo painted on walls in just about every town and village. Its always hand painted and looks like something out of 1950's America. Because it's always painted, it has a real authentic quality to it. I didn't drink any. Once I had an Inca Cola instead. That's the local soft drink. It is always very hot during the day in Peru. The roofs all have a little overhang. So if you are walking down any street, there is always a foot of shade along the walls of the buildings. The sun was always bright in the sky. When I would glance at the long shadow cast along the walls I would sometimes notice movement. Then I realized that the Inca women perfectly fit in the little shadow and they always walk inside of it to stay out of the sun. It was like a disappearing act. The women are always on the street selling their crafts and wears. Yun and I bought everything in sight. Just trying to help the world economy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to be a Peruvian Coke sign painter when I grow up.

Ed Beard

kane said...

You need serious skills.

Anonymous said...

Dammit
Ed Beard

Katherine Thomas said...

This is great. I like the detail adn the colors, it really creates an exciting pleasing mood.

Anonymous said...

Is that a video/surveillance camera in the upper corner or the building and what about the cactus--is it growing on the roof?

kane said...

I don't think it's a video camera. It was just a light with a power source. Yes cactus was growing right onto the roof.

Katrina Sophia said...

nice to know a little more about peru...i would love love to visit! lovely illustration of yours, liking the details and colour.

The Young Bridget Jones

Darlene K Campbell said...

The places you see and draw are so inspiring. Like the bits of stories that you tell about your travels.