Jul 29, 2013

The Sargent Can Sing



Recently I went to see the John Singer Sargent exhibition of watercolor paintings at the Brooklyn Museum. I was told by some friends to go check it out. This was not on my radar because I am art illiterate. Upon going, what I saw was hard for me to comprehend. At points, some images appeared to be photographs until I got up close and saw they were in fact paintings. There were things I thought were oil paintings until I realized they were watercolors. There were pastel pieces that turned out to be oil paintings. He seemed not to follow any rules of watercolor purists. If he felt like slopping oil paint right on top of his watercolor painting to make it look better, he did. In his new book, The Greater Journey by David McCullough, there is a large section about the career of Sargent. It at least allowed me to know that he was one of the greatest painters of all time. Standing in the middle of the museum, I realized something. I don't know how to look at paintings in museums and learn much of anything from the experience. After looking at 10 paintings, I'm burnt out, confused and befuddled. My friend Butch Belair only took up painting a few years ago and is now,in my estimation, a master. He accomplished this feat by studying, reading books and manuals, watching tutorials and voraciously accumulating as much knowledge about the subject as humanly possible. This is the direct opposite of what I do. Deep down, I wish I could be like that but something inside me prevents me doing so. I'm not sure what it is. There is a mental block that I've carried with me since I was a little kid. I putter along with my own trial and error trying to improve as an artist but I don't attempt to expand my talent by reaching out for other people's knowledge. Butch talks about different techniques and the use of glazes and whatnot and I'm lost at what he is saying. In the film, "Amadeus", Salieri is Mozart's rival. It's just that Mozart is so far superior to him, he realizes he is no real rival to him at all. Salieri is so knowledgeable about music though, that he, more than anyone else, can hear, experience and observe just how great Mozart is. It becomes like a curse. When I watch the movie, I actually envy Salieri. It must be amazing to know so much about a subject that when you, as opposed to the average Joe, experience that subject, your head just absorbs it all like a sponge. Which comes back to me. As I stood before Sargent's paintings, it wasn't the paintings I was thinking about, but Butch Belair. It must be amazing to be in Butch's head standing in this room because all I am drawing is a blank. I want to change. At my age, it's scary though. I always feel embarrassed and stupid. The kid who is afraid to raise his hand and ask the teacher for help. On the upside though, is the realization that maybe the first step is to look in the mirror and admit to myself that I do need help to break this pattern of behavior. I hope I can. It might even make me a better artist.

17 comments:

Luis Fernando Oliveira said...

Kudos! The drive to improve is the drive to live. Nothing wrong with studying, far from it. But let me tell you, your more natural(istic) approach brings freshness with it and your drawings always feel genuine (and, man, do I dislike this overused word.)

John Woolley said...

Aren't water brushes just awesome.

Ken Foster said...

Wow. Great post Tommy. It's an open, honest and vulnerable place you are coming from. I can relate...

John Woolley said...

Also, did you paint this in a regular moleskine?

John Woolley said...

That Sargent is REALLY good.

kane said...

Regular old moleskine. I force the watercolor onto it. It's not easy but I manage to do it.

justbea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy Lynn said...

Hmmm...the thing about your art, Tommy, is that it's truly y.o.u.r.s
I would know it anywhere -- and that is a high compliment! There's nothing wrong with being curious about a technique and trying it for awhile....but generally we have a kind of built-in art and yours is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

You ARE the man, the visionary, the hooligan. Let others look at YOUR gift and be stunned and dazzled.

Ed Beard

I wonder if Butch Belair has pried the chrome "Belair" off a Chevy and made jewelry out of it.

kane said...

He can just make one in CGI.

eimuttia said...

I just started to read E.H. Gombrich's 'The Story of Art'. It's a art history classic and I guess I should're read it years ago (I've had it in my library for years, too). There he wrote: 'Let us also remember that every one of their [art works'] features is the result of a decision by the artist: that he may have pondered over them and changed the many times...' BUT, he reminded, we the not-artists can still admire and appreciate those works even if we don't have a clue about the theories and techniques behind the works of art. Because every one of us has solved similar problems in our own lives: what to wear, how to arrange flowers/books on a shelve/objects on our desk. We have a intrinsic eye for balance just as the artists do, they just have had more practice in it. And Gombrich is the Man when it comes to appreciating art. If you want to take a look in art theory, get 'The Story of Art'. It's easy reading but full of thinking. And his witty. Anyone interesting in art, art history and practical theory of art techniques ought to read it, I think. There's an ebook too and pdf's too, but the hardcover book is absolutely the best as it's been designed so that pictures of art works are next to the text about them.

I really should have read it years ago...

kane said...

I'll check it out.

Martin said...

Visited your blog this morning & enjoyed it very much. Compliments!

ghulam abid said...

Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
GetLikeFast.com

Habeib Khan said...

Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Epic Videos, Prank Videos, Fail Videos and Much More Fun and Entertainment, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com

Habeib Khan said...

Top 7 Expensive Cars, Top Most Popular Cars, Cars and Vehicles with Info and Pictures, Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
WorldLatestVehicles.com

Tauheed Sohail said...

Lol and Funny, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com