Jun 24, 2013

Yo, Where You From?



It would seem to me that almost everyone in the world, at one time or another, lived in Brooklyn. Recently, I've been running into my childhood friends from Long Island. When I tell them I now live in Brooklyn, they all say, "oh I used to live in Brooklyn too." When I tell them what neighborhood, they all say, "I lived in that neighborhood too." When did all this happen? The, everyone being from Brooklyn thing? What you should know about Brooklyn is that it is frigging enormous. It's about the size of Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakoda and New Mexico combined. When you drive on the BQE, the neighborhoods never end. If you watch the HBO series, GIRLS, they never leave Brooklyn. They are stuck in this vast country abutted to Manhattan, but they just can't ever seem to leave it. I understand. A friend of mine from childhood told me her husband grew up in this house, which is a few blocks away. So I did a drawing of it. This is typical Brooklyn but then again, I don't need to tell any of you that because all of you have lived there at one time or another. Right?

11 comments:

Katherine Thomas said...

There is something so precious about the old neighborhood, isn't there? You've captured the essence of this place very nicely! Funny, I posted a drawing of similar townhouses in a city this morning, too! But mine are in Cincinnati. This is a great piece, Tommy!

Bob Mrotek said...

I'm from Queens. It's bigger than Brooklyn. So there!

kane said...

My grandparents and parents are from Queens. So there, there.

Roosnans said...

Nope, always lived in the Netherlands...

David King said...

I've never even been to state of New York, never been farther East the Cleveland for that matter and that was just a very short visit. Even Northern Utah is getting too crowded for my taste.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure you don't know how big Colorado is or you'd not have said that. :-) ~ Lynn

Anonymous said...

Brooklyn is the fourth largest city in America. I know because it was on a sign in the beginning intro of "Welcome Back Kotter".
Ed Beard

kane said...

Ed knows stuff.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Wonderful drawing, you put so much detail in :-)

kane said...

Otherwise why do it.

Mim said...

I'm from Flatbush - honest - and I just bought your wonderful picture of the BB.

Someone recently told me that I'd be "cool for life" since I grew up in Brooklyn. I was relieved that I didn't have to work at it any more.