Mar 19, 2013

What To Read



I'm often at a loss of what book to read next. Right now I'm reading, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. My last few were: City Of Thieves by David Benioff, The Greater Journey by David McCullough, Down And Out In Paris by George Orwell, A Moveable Feast by Hemingway and Back To Blood by Tom Wolfe. The way I read books now is on my iphone, using the Kindle app. I'm always on the subway and it's how I kill time. My friend, Tony Gilroy, happens to have written a slew of Hollywood hits and blockbusters. He's also directed and written Michael Clayton, Duplicity and The Bourne Legacy. His brother Danny is a great screenwriter too. He wrote one of my favorite freaky movies of all time, The Fall, directed by Tarsem. This might be hard to believe but there is another brother, John, who is a brilliant film editor. They all have lengthy IMDB pages. If that isn't enough, their father is a Pulitzer Prize winning writer. I think that's what the New York Yankees call, a dynasty. Anyway, Tony sent me an e-mail the other day informing Yun and I that his father just released a Kindle Single called, Anything For You. I had never heard this term, Kindle Single. What they happen to be, are essays or short stories rather than full length books. Plus they only cost $1.99. I love that concept. When I finish some gigantic book that took me weeks and weeks to read and I'm about to start another monster, I often wish I could take a break in between. That's why I dig this Kindle Single concept. So if you are like me and always fishing around for something to read, why not give Frank's book a try. You can purchase it here.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I finished reading it - it is spooky and engrossing!

yun

kane said...

Ed Beard will read it.

Anonymous said...

I already downloaded it and Down and Out in Paris and London. I like reading, just not looking for books.
Ed Beard

kane said...

I knew you could read.

Anonymous said...

My last 3 books:

The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't
Robert I. Sutton

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Max Brooks

11/22/63: A Novel
Stephen King

A Psychiatrist could go for days I guess.
Ed Beard

kane said...

Thanks for the list.

Anonymous said...

Hello Tommy I just noticed your mention of The Fall. I saw it on a plane while flying from Joburg to Heathrow. The hospital scenes were filmed in Cape Town ( they had to be careful not to get Table Mountain in the shots). I managed to find a DVD and it is one of my all time favourites. I've never seen it mentioned before, but here it is, on your blog! I enjoy your art but your writing is so entertaining! Thanks, Theresa.