Mar 18, 2013

Hats



Ever since I was a kid, I've been in love with hats. As a result, I own a lot of cool ones. I've developed an eye for them. What happens is I get stopped on the street a lot by people, first telling me how cool my hat is and then asking where I got it from. The other day at a flea market, my wife saw this in action. Today I was walking in Soho during lunch and a girl stopped me to talk about my lid. Being an expert I also know when a hat looks awful and ridiculous. With all this Pope stuff going on, the newspapers and television screens have been full of bad hats. Really bad hats. I may have to watch some Downton Abbey reruns so I can look at groovy hats again.

11 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

I must hand it to you Tommy. You got the hat right! The corner without the peak goes on the left side of the head. The hat is called a "biretta". When a Cardinal dies his biretta is strung on a wire that hangs from the ceiling of his Cathedral until it finally decomposes and falls down. Then his ghost goes away or something. For just walking around and chatting the Cardinals wear a red skullcap known as a "zuccetto". During ceremonies the high peaked "mitre" is worn over the zuccetto. If they wander around in the hot sun they wear a wide brimmed "galero". I think you would look good in any one of these. You could use the color "Tommy Kane Blue" so that folks wouldn't mistake you for someone holy. Blue is not a liturgical color.

Anonymous said...

When I die I want my Giant's hat strung on a wire that hangs from the ceiling of my man cave until it finally decomposes and falls down.

I'm going to see my lawyer right now to get my will changed.

Ed Beard

Monica said...

I'm sticking to my orange straw cowboy hat and its overtones of dirt from resting on the floor.

kane said...

Ed's hat should be put in the Smithsonian.

Bob Mrotek said...

Is that with or without Ed?

kane said...

Ed's body should be entombed in the Vatican.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Cut me and my hat in half. Put one half in the Vatican and the other half in the Smithsonian. That is how King Solomon would have done it.
Ed Beard

Bob Mrotek said...

Hmmm...interesting. Then what will happen to Tommy's outer shell? Will it be preserved in a keg of Irish whiskey?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jamesons will do just fine.

Ed Beard

Rod MacGregor said...

I always think hats can make you look twice as good or twice as bad...probably because they double or half the area at the top..the face

Koosje Koene said...

I love this drawing! And yes you are so right. Groovy hats can look so cool! But you need to know how to wear them too. A groovy hat can look very bad, when not worn right!