Nov 30, 2012

Colored Pub


Here is the painted version of the black and white drawing I'd done in London. As I stated before, I used a new kind of watercolor block. This one is hot press and I've only used cold press in the past. The paint does not go on so well. Cold Press works like magic but Hot Press is a drag. It takes forever to dry and is difficult to work with. I needed all my skills to make it work. If I can't find a reasonable substitute soon, I may be stuck trying to work with this stuff for a while. It won't be pretty. The result is OK but the ordeal of fighting the piece of paper each time is a nightmare.

12 comments:

ChrisF said...

I love how fearless you are about complicated subjects.
I also love how you don't shy away from going back and adding things like the guy at the bar. This is great.
Hope you find a new cold press block soon. Maybe ask Kate Johnson or Roz Stendahl??? Those are my go-to folks for supplies.

Furree Katt said...

It still looks incredible, though.

Monica said...

IT IS BEAUTIFUL.

Mamta said...

Beautiful!!

kane said...

Too much effort though to get the paint on.

Anns Art said...

Hot or cold press, this is a brilliant painting.

Anonymous said...

I hope they had Jamesons.
Ed Beard

David King said...

Great work as always Tommy. Could you cut down the larger size block or paper and then bind it?

Carolyn said...

I like using colored pencil over watercolor on hot press paper. The texture isn't as much as cold press which is why I like it for the colored pencil.

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine how much concentration your drawing took. Wonderful drawing, Tommy. We want you to have fun, though. Where are you that you can't find a new cold press watercolor book or have someone send it to you? I'm just a nurse in Virginia, but your drawings and blog have been so enjoyable to me, that I'd be happy to send you a cold press book . Just tell us what you want/need and I'm sure someone, if not me, will send you what you desire.

I love the guy at the bar, too.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oops, I just read your post below-- and I see your dilemma. Okay, if you can't find a new book, I guess worst case scenario is to buy the paper you like and get it cut and bound into the size you want. C'mon Canson, come through for Mr. Kane.

A lot of people seem to like the Stillman and Birn journals. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hagen said...

Heck, I'm heading to the Argyll this Friday just because of this painting.