Oct 18, 2012

Liar, Liar, Lance On Fire


When I was a kid and played sports, there was a saying, "it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game." This was a great ideal for kids to live by. If you're the best athlete in the neighborhood or the worst, just give your best effort and you will have the respect of your peers. Somewhere over the past years, that has changed to,"win at all cost even if you have to cheat." Athletes routinely get kicked out of the Olympics and have to return medals afterwards. Baseball, forget about it. Guys like A-Rod and Clemens go on TV and arrogantly challenge anyone who claims they took steroids. Then, oops, evidence comes out to the contrary and they have to eat some crow. The Lance Armstrong debacle is just the latest in a long line of fibbing blowhards. People like to say, well EVERYONE else is doing it. I don't believe that at all. There are good honest people in the world. There are people who don't cheat on their taxes and who would never consider doing anything dishonest, no matter how much it would benefit themselves. There are also athletes who would rather compete honestly and lose than to game the system. Money is such a big part of all of this. Young kids see that the cheaters get rewarded. Will Lance return all the dough he received for his endorsements over the years? No. For him, cheating did pay off. A little humiliation now but so what. Look at his wonderful lifestyle built on a lie. It's a sad message to children today. Cheating is the only way to get to the top because everyone else is supposedly cheating too. I'm glad I was raised the old fashion way. I always play the game honestly.

12 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

Tommy, that was the best thing you ever said. I salute you!

kane said...

I once said, "Ed Beard is the funniest MoFo in the world." I thought that was the best thing I ever said.

Bob Mrotek said...

I'm sorry pal, but you now stand corrected :)

ArtL8dY said...

You just don't know who to believe anymore.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog.
Ed Beard

Jeanne said...

There are many of us
who are like minded.

kane said...

Like me and Ed.

Anonymous said...

Some of your drawings look like they are on steroids :)

winna said...

Excellent words from you...and the painting is the same---I like the band boinging off !

Susan said...

Perfect title!!! Well said, well done.

kane said...

One of my better titles.

Ingrid Ormestad said...

"it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game." .. growing up in Scotland, I was taught the same thing. Like you, I may not have the lifestyle of Lance Armstrong but I can hold my head up high. Love your Art, Tommy ... very original! :)