Sep 19, 2012

The Rose


The interesting thing about Facebook is how you find old friends. After I was in Seattle a year ago, someone I worked with many, many years ago contacted me on Facebook. She said if I ever get to Seattle again we should meet up. I agreed. Her name is Sue Rose. We knew each other when she was an art director in advertising. Sue was one of those people who was super talented and anything she touched turned to gold. The other thing about her was that she was very quiet and humble. You'd see her at the zerox machine with a drawing on a little napkin. The next thing you know it's being sold on t-shirts all over the world. Then I'd see it in 7Up commercials and Coke spots all over the world. The drawing was of Fido Dido. You may recognize it from this commercial I found on YouTube. I was always thinking, how does she do that? She was too gifted to stay in advertising. She left and created successful children's television shows. Angela Anaconda, Pepper Ann and Unfabulous. Yun and I loved hanging out with her. She was exactly the same; quiet, humble, funny, cute and adorable. At one point she said she was now making ceramic sculptures. On her phone, she showed us a photo of a sheep she had made. Yun and I nearly fell out of our chairs. It was one of the most beautiful objects I'd ever laid eyes on. It had every strand of wool done in a really clever style. The sheep was standing on grass and she made every blade of grass too. I had warned Yun before meeting her that Sue was magical. She did not disappoint. We can't wait to go back to Seattle so we can hang out with her again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of the best ideas get drawn on cocktail napkins and beer coasters in bars. (Not saying Fido Dido was done in a bar.) I just leave a ring of condensation on my beer bottle coasters.
Ed Beard

kane said...

Actually it was done in a bar.

Tavarua said...

Just found your blog - Brilliant work!!!

kane said...

Finally.