Sep 14, 2012

Sketching With Lapin, Almost


I got a nice e-mail from Veronica Lawlor inviting people to join her, Lapin and Jason Das to do a little sketching together as an excuse to meet each other. At least that's the way I looked at it. Lawlor, Das and Lapin are great artists I wanted to meet. The gathering was to take place at the Intrepid, which is a big Navy ship which has been converted into a museum. 11AM sharp. I show up at 10:30 and there is a big line. It takes me half an hour to get in. It's 90 friggin degrees and I am melting like the wicked witch of the west. There is also no shade on the flight deck along with no sketchers. I wander to and fro but don't see anyone drawing. I walk down to the deck below but no one there either. So I go back to the top deck and find a tiny patch of shade, about 2 feet in diameter. I have to sit at the end of a bench to be in the tiny spec of shade. The only thing I could see was this helicopter but it was quite far away. I had nothing to do so I drew the thing as best I could given the difficult circumstances. Even in the shade I was melting. At around 12:30 it finally dawned on me that no one else was coming. I sent a text to Veronica and she said that she was coming later around 3 o'clock but that Lapin should be there already. I searched and didn't see him or anyone else for that matter. I noticed lately that all of them did sketches of the Highline that day. I must have not gotten the memo. So I went back to my office. I guess there was a bit of a mix up, which happens. It was no big deal but I did want to meet those guys. I'm sure it will happen again and I'll be ready for action. I did get this strange little drawing out of the experience.

4 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

Don't ya just hate it when you get ditched?

kane said...

Like a bride at the alter.

David King said...

Unfortunately I know the feeling.

luka said...

great post ;)