Jul 30, 2012

Who You Gonna Call?


I work in the neighborhood called Tribeca in New York City. Around the corner from my office is the famous firehouse that the movie, Ghostbusters, was filmed in. Tourists always come up to me and before they can speak, I say, "are you looking for the Ghostbusters firehouse?" Yes, they say. So I take them. Sometimes I look out the window and there are 50 people standing in front gaping at the place. So I figured I would draw it. I would draw a little at a time each day at lunch or in the morning when it wasn't too hot. The actor Ed Burns was always strolling by. He must live down the block. One morning an old guy dressed in a nice suit stopped by. He told me the firehouse used to be twice the size it is today. Apparently the city cut it in half in 1984 to widen the street. Hey I learned something new. I can tell that factoid to the tourists. One day I even saw a crew filming in front. Guys were all dressed up in Ghostbusters outfits. There was even a guy dressed up like the marshmallow man. The firemen must think people are crazy. I know I do.

8 comments:

Anns Art said...

They say you should learn something new everyday...and I have, didn't know this firehouse was really a bona fida place!...love your drawing, as ever(:

kane said...

Oh it's real alright.

John Woolley said...

That's way cool! Ghostbusters was an awesome movie.

Michael Lounsbury said...

You have a great style that always makes me want to draw. You've certainly got me inspired for the day. Thanks.

Have a great day!
Michael Lounsbury

Anonymous said...

Ed Burns is cool.
Ed Beard

kane said...

So is Ed Beard.

Sarah Lounsbury said...

Oh.... I love to watercolour, too! It is such a pleasure! I will have to look at your older posts! I am your newest follower!


Thanks for sharing, Tom.


Ciao Bello
Sensible Sarah

Wendy Barrett said...

I love this picture. Particularly the colours in the brickwork.