Jul 3, 2012

Energy Savings


There is a new law in Korea that all air conditioning can't be below a certain temperature. You notice it when you enter buildings. In America, when I enter a building, it is always sub zero. In the summer, I always bring a sweater with me because I know I will end up somewhere where the AC is turned down way too low. It makes no sense that I have to dress like it's winter just to be indoors. The money and energy savings alone is worth doing it. Plus it just feels better to be in normal temperatures. Why do Americans overdo everything. New York's mayor Bloomberg is passing a law to get people to try and stop drinking 10 gallons of sugared soda everyday. He's making it against the law to sell soda in a 5 gallon bucket. It makes such perfect sense, yet extremely ignorant people and Republicans still complain that their rights are being taken away. Maybe your rights need to be taken away because you have zero common sense. Maybe we should pass a temperature law too. It seems when we are aloud to self regulate the temperature of our own air conditioners, we get a failing grade. I read an article once, where people who rent and have their utilities included, love to leave their AC's on all day long even when no one is there. Seems they don't like to wait the 5 minutes it take to cool down the apartment when they get home. Even if they go away for the weekend or vacation, they leave it running the whole time. Bloomberg will be lowering everyone's AC temperature next.

14 comments:

Marken said...

Hi! congrats! keep up the good work/this is a great presentation.......
ducted air conditioning toowoomba

theailurophile said...

I think you mean RAISE the a/c not lower. As in raise the temp on the thermostat...but then I live in Texas where we have such things as whole house a/c not a window unit.
Living in the land of "the air you can wear", I'm not a fan of turning the a/c off all day!
I'm glad to see people do anything that saves energy.

shebicycles said...

Agree - on all points. I, too, hate having to cary a sweater or jacket around just to be inside a building. And even for those of us in the Deep South/Southwest with continual heat and whole house systems, or those who may forget (or be too lazy) to switch things off and on, a programmable thermostat is the easiest way to turn things off (or up) during times you are away from home or dont need it running. Even a caveman can do it. ;)

As always, wonderful art - always an inspiration.

Pascal said...

Nice illustration and I loved to read the story.

Pascal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kane said...

I don't like to use the AC in my car either.

Rod MacGregor said...

I live in Spain and whilst a lot of people rely on a/c...we shut the windows and sometimes the shutters during the heat of the summer days...in the evenings, everything is opened up again to allow a cooler breeze to blow through... our house is always cool and everyone asks where is the a/c..we proudly declare that we haven't got it!! We also have to be nearly dying of heat exhaustion before the a/c gets put on in the car....This is a great post as usual Tommy...I like your style of writing and drawing congrats!

kane said...

Great information Rod.

Monica said...

It is only you folks living in the north that do that. We who live with heat all year keep our home a 78 in the summer. I cannot think of anywhere I have been recently where they froze us out. I always notice it when i hit north of Texas.

Maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maureen said...

On the flipside, I think people need to be more aware in the winter of what oil/gas they are wasting when they are heating their homes. I have had many arguments with the people who manage my 24 story apt complex, because they control the heat. All of us tenants walk around in the building wearing shorts, tank tops, and sandals in the winter. This is not right! We should be wearing fuzzy socks, sweaters, and long pants. The heat should never be set to where we have to sleep with windows open in a snowstorm.

Businesses are sometimes a huge problem in the winter too, especially banks. Banks are the worst with setting their heat too high. The heat should be set for the comfort of customers, who are wearing coats.

If your workers are too cold, they are a) probably not working hard enough and b) can put on more layers.

This is brought to you by the woman who sets her thermostat for 58 when she goes to bed in the winter, because she can always add another blanket.

Amanda Brett, Watercolour Artist said...

well said, couldn't agree more!! fab illustrations!!

Sarah Lounsbury said...

Wow... I must comment on your skies! I love them so much!

riki jorden said...

Thanks for sharing information on Tommy Kane's Art Blog, i have visited your blog great post...............
air conditioning toowoomba