Jun 6, 2012

Recently my Aunt and Uncle had their 50th wedding anniversary. All my young cousins were there. Actually they are not so young anymore. Everyone stands around looking at their phones. Actually it's not a phone, it's really a small computer. The stupid thing does everything except tell you when to go to the bathroom. It can tell you where to eat, take pictures, make movies, send e-mails, play music, movies, TV shows and even play games with you. I always see people in the their cars using it. The thing is very addictive. We've banned smoking but when no one was looking we all got hooked on the smart phone. It has become our brain doing all the thinking. I wanted to use my imagination instead of having my phone tell me what to do. Usually when I draw, I go someplace and sit and then draw from life. I hardly use my brain anymore. Having an iphone, I don't need to. So for once I just used my head and drew the first thing that came into it. No reference, no pictures, no computer, I just up and did this all on my own. It felt good. I'd like to write more about this but my phone just rang, so I better take the call.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HEAR YOU...LESS AND LESS INTERACTION WITH REAL LIFE + NATURE THESE DAYS...ONLY SOLUTION IS TO BE IN THE MOMENT AND GO SIMPLE...NICE n EASY!!!

winna said...

like the sketch a lot! I have quite the irritation with folks who you're talking with that keep stealing looks at the smart phone and insist they are listening to you...oh sure....

kane said...

It's a drug.

Irina said...

You are so wise, squirrel with a gun.
I call us zombies, absorbed into the growing blue screen.

Pie Lady Pat said...

Great little octopus. Resist change except where you can see real benefit from it.... keep it simple! Go outdoors.