Jun 21, 2012

Old Time New York

My good friend, photographer Craig Cutler, has a new studio and it happens to be in Little Italy. The view from the rear window is really amazing. It felt like going back in time. Seeing clothes hanging on clotheslines was really cool. There used to be millions of clotheslines in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Now you don't see any. I was at the studio for a few days. One day I noticed that a Chinese lady was putting tons of clothes on all the clotheslines. She had stuff on hangers, on the fire escape and window sills. It looked like she was running a laundry service out of her apartment. There is always a story lurking behind the walls of New York city apartments.

11 comments:

Demii Whiffin said...

this is amazing.

Anns Art said...

This is such a great painting, love all that detail.

Eloise said...

Like!!! "like" always!

Julián Ardura said...

Wonderful picture and great atmosphere quiet.

kane said...

its pretty good

shebicycles said...

I love this - and the story it tell about daily life.

Miguel Herranz said...

I understand why you got caught by this view, it's amazing. Great work.

Anonymous said...

Cool.
Ed Beard

Nora MacPhail said...

That's awesome! I love paintings where you're forced to move your eyes up and down the image... I almost can't take the whole thing in. Really cool!

Corby Blem said...

If I was a kid and saw this in a book I got at the library, I'd never turn the page.

John said...

This is such a great painting, love all that detail.