Jun 11, 2012

Help Desk

I am having some scanning issues. I had a bunch of scans that were only scanned at 150 DPI. I needed them done at 300 DPI, so I rescanned them on the same scanner. They just don't compare. The ones I scanned 4 or 5 years ago are far superior. The scans seem weak. Does anyone know if over time, scanners just stop being able to pick up colors and details? Do they wear out? Do I just have to go into the settings in my computer and play around with the settings before I scan? Can you recalibrate scanners? I know this is vague but maybe someone else has had these issues. I'm using one in the office because it is for my oversize drawings. They cost like 3 grand so there is no way I am getting a new one for my home, if you know what I mean. Even in Photoshop, I can't bring out the details. It's just not there. Help. This drawing is not an example, by the way.

6 comments:

theailurophile said...

300 dpi ought to be the same no matter what. My bet is that someone at work made adjustments for a project or projects and you need to go into the settings and tinker a bit.

Carolyn A Pappas said...

I think it is possible that the scanner might lose quality over time. I have had three scanners and I have an epson right now that I love. I have had it about 4 years and it is working fine. I had bad luck with HP and the printer/scanner in one things.

Rod MacGregor said...

I agree that the software settings need to be adjusted a bit..(I use Epson software with an Epson scanner...always on adjustable (pro) mode as automatic mode never seems to cut it.)I'm not sure that changing the dpi would make things worse.

John Woolley said...

You're lucky, you get to use those big giant detailed scanners right where you work. I at the moment take a photograph and crop it using my Canon 50D.

art is jok(k)e(n) said...

I experienced the same problems a time ago. I cleaned the glass plate of the scanner on the underside. I noticed there was a kind of "haze" of "rash". After removing it with glass cleaner, it was good again.
And further I agree what Rod said...

Stephen Milsont said...

I am using HP scanner and printer at home. But every time I scan I really get the best result of it. An HP scanner is the best why you guys can,try that. I like to painting and so use to draw anything when I was free and then scan that on my computer and it promote the excellent result.

remote support