Apr 4, 2012

Bribe


The past 61 days I have been on the set of a photo shoot for 49 of those days. That’s the truth. I get to see a lot of photographers in action. Each one has their own way of doing things. I observe all of their little tricks and secrets. The only problem is, I still don’t know how to take a photo with a camera myself. I own one but I only use it to shoot videos. My own photos don’t interest me very much. I prefer drawings, paintings and filming. When I’m on set with the best photographers in the world, I never ask them about F stops or focal lengths or lenses or equipment. I am clueless. I was working with this photographer in the sketch for the first time. He spoke no English. As he was working, I sat and did this drawing of him. It didn’t take very long and when he saw it, his mind was blown. It gave us an instant trust and bond. Plus it was like a bribe because I gave him the original drawing. I really believe he worked harder for me as a result. He whipped out his cell phone and showed me the drawings his son in grammar school had done. Monsters, 101 of them. They were off the charts. We worked very easily together from that point on. We used gestures, nods and little doodles on paper to communicate. We didn’t even need an interpreter or maybe I'm starting to understand Korean and don't even realize it yet.

6 comments:

Ed said...

There are some incredibly skilled, creative and talented photographers out there and I've seen many amazing photographs that have blown my mind, but for me, none have quite had the soul that can be found in a really good drawing or painting.

Lori said...

Brilliant! Your attention to detail is amazing. Hopefully you will get to work with this photographer again you both speak the same language now.

kane said...

It will happen.

academia-research said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

academia-research said...

I like this blog

Anonymous said...

I like this blog