Feb 19, 2012

Trust


Years ago my wife took me to Korea for the first time. She took me right to the Namdaemun market, probably because she wanted to shop. I was instantly drawn to the food stalls. My wife yelled at me and said to NEVER eat street food there. She usually tells me this in every country but of course, I don't listen. The first chance I got I made a beeline back to eat the street food. There are a lot of Blade Runner type outdoor stalls. They are all wrapped in big sheets of clear plastic. There are little space heaters and cookers that sort of keep the inside warm. I found one I wanted to draw, then sat down and ordered food. As the drawing took shape, people started to take notice. My back was to the clear plastic and the tiny street behind is only wide enough for a single person to pass. Suddenly I could feel lots of people directly behind behind me pushing in on the plastic to get a look. It started to get a little hairy. People inside the tent started to take my other drawings off the table and pass them around to everyone. At some point, A guy came into the tent and picked up one of my paintings. He didn't speak any English at all, so he just gestured that he was taking my painting. Off he went without a word. He strolled out of the tent and disappeared into the crowds. Ordinarily one might panic but not in Korea. The people are so trustworthy, that I didn't even blink. Sure enough, 5 minutes later he showed up. He placed the painting on my table, smiled and left. Then I went back to my painting and enjoying my street food, doing exactly what my wife told me not to do.

14 comments:

Ebru Vatansever said...

That was a very nice story, thank you for sharing. It's a good feeling to know there are still honest and trustworthy people around and also who appreciate great art :o)

bestessay4u.com said...

awesome much!

winna said...

great sketch full of such interest---I guess all the stacked things are a good idea in a cramped space..but a catastrophy if tipped over..I wonder what kinds of food there are to eat...

kane said...

Lots of meat, seafood, stews and what not.

writerscash said...

very good presentation, thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Your details are killer. The Korean signs/lettering must take forever, since I assume you are just copying the shapes of the figures.Nice.
Ed Beard

kpwriting said...

good story i like it and the illustration for this post is cool too

Anns Art said...

I loved this story about life in another country and what you experienced. How lovely that must have been, although obviously a bit scary, and I'm wondering how the people saw through the plastic...what kind of distorted view did they have!

john.p said...

This all ties well together, the story and drawing. I feel like I'm there.

joseph's art and stuff said...

Great work again! Oh the memories! I loved eating at the food stalls. My wife needs to see these, maybe it will convince her we need to go back and enjoy her homeland.

Julia said...

I always check back your blog. love your detail work. how long you usually take for this kind of sketch?

Andrea said...

Great details, I feel like I am there. the fan is my favorite.

writingbee.com said...

Good post and a fantastic read

kpwriting.com said...

This Post gives me lot of information!Exelent!