Dec 7, 2011

Tattoo Artistry



I have a cousin named Justin Klein. Turns out the guy is an amazing artist. He contacted me out of the blue recently and suggested we collaborate on something. A bell went off in my head and I thought he would be great to film for the sketchbook videos I've been doing with Danny and Jack Gregory. The reason I thought he would be great is because Justin is a tattoo artist. Danny was very excited when I suggested Justin. Neither of us would have ever thought to use a tattoo artist to explore how drawing and sketching are critical to the art of tattooing. Justin's work is very elaborate, so filming him working was going to be a long day. He worked for about 8 or 9 hours straight without taking a real brake. Danny and I were blown away. If I draw for 3 or 4 hours, I'm done. This guy is a rock. Now think about the poor guy getting tattooed. He was Justin's friend and his name was Mike Messick. Justin chose him because of how much pain he would have to endure. He said Mike was as tough as nails and could take it. Justin was right about that. There was some moments of true pain after 8 hours or so. I must say it is not easy to perform while Danny and I are filming with cameras a few inches away while someone works. Justin was such a pro that he never broke a sweat. I'm very proud to have Justin as my cousin and fellow artist. If anyone lives in the tri-state New York area and is interested in a tattoo from Justin, contact him on Facebook. Here is his page. If you don't need a tattoo, you could just give him a shout out there.

15 comments:

Tiago Duarte Rézio said...

Great arts!
Congratulations for all team

kane said...

Thnak you. the man rocks.

Bob Mrotek said...

Another great sketching documentary, Tom. Many thanks to you and Justin and Danny and Jack. Your collective efforts are greatly appreciated and please tell Mike that I admire his fortitude!

kane said...

The man is insane.

Anonymous said...

This may the best so far. Great video. Props to everyone.
Ed Beard

honeymoon package maldives said...

I really enjoyed this article. It is always nice when you read some thing that is not only informative but entertaining.

Rod MacGregor said...

I enjoyed the film. The music went well with the dark room and guys medieval looks.

buy essay said...

happy new year, people!!!!!

Rob said...

Great film, especially as I am booked in for a 7-hour tattoo session on Jan 24th!

Alina said...

huh, great video!

checked also film about Tommy Kane by Danny Gregory on Vimeo, good one. :)

dissertation help said...

so cool art )))

buy essays online said...

Wonderful!

assignment writing service said...

great) liked everything very much) keep it up and dont stop)

Anonymous said...

nice opinion.. thanks for sharing.

custom-papers.us said...

Great work!