Jul 18, 2011

Pennsylvania Living


I had something interesting happen to me the other day. Yun and I had to go to a funeral. As we were walking towards our car we both noticed it was gone. They were filming an episode of "True Blood" on the corner. Even though there were no signs posted my car had been towed anyway. That night I tried to track my car down but it was not showing up at any of the pounds. No one at the police station ever picks up the phone so I had to leave work early and go in person. The woman working there said it wasn't showing up anywhere. She informed me that there was a thing called, "relocation." That means you didn't do anything wrong. You didn't park in a place you shouldn't have and you don't get a fine or ticket. BUT the cops can tow your car anyway. They don't take it to the pound. They actually drive around the streets and then repark it somewhere else. The only problem is no one tells you. The cops didn't know where my car was. It should be in their paperwork but it wasn't. They suggested that I walk around the streets and maybe I would run into it. I protested. Then they said I could go to the location and call 911 and report it stolen. I said I am in the police station, why don't I just do it here? They said I wasn't allowed to. I had to go and phone it in. It had to do with some crazy rule. Finally after much persistence, some lazy ass person went onto a computer and found it. It was quite far away on some dead end side street. I got it back but it wasn't easy. It would be nice to have my own garage someday.

9 comments:

Ron said...

What would REALLY be nice is to have competent public officials.
Glad you found it.

Anonymous said...

What absolute asshats. That is the most absurd story I've heard in 2011. Let's see, they have your license plate number, a computer, your name, address, SSN, photo, and you're world-famous as an artist, and they couldn't get it together to contact you? Our taxes pay for this b.s.

Do you park in front of drug dens? Even that is no excuse for breaking into your car and "relocating" it.

Yeah, I'm post-migraine and outraged for you.

I'm sorry for your hassle. Beautiful and interesting artwork as always.

J.Espadaneira said...

Are you sure you were in pennsylvania?
That kind of weird things happens all the time here in Portugal ;)

Ann's Art said...

Sounds like something that would happen here in the UK, except they having worked out about the Relocation bit yet! Glad you got your car back though and love the picture of the house..as always your drawings are great.

Helen Ström said...

Sounds like something that could be happening in France!! Sorry for your trouble and glad it ended well. You're an extraordinary story teller by the way!

Anonymous said...

The cops were probably driving it around for donut runs.
Ed Beard

kane said...

I think you hit it on the head, Ed.

Maureen said...

Pennsylvania is so stupid with this kind of thing. "Go walk around and try to find it." Like, aren't they trained detectives? Did they mistaken you for Columbo or something?

Though, I had a conversation with cops like this once. I was home, missings things out of my purse. Because of a conversation that I'd had with an employee, I suspected another employee had stolen from my purse. I called the police. They couldn't talk to me, because the crime took place in another city. So, I called the police in the other city. They couldn't talk to me while I was in my home city. I drove to my store, called those police again, and they finally helped me.

Japanese Used Cars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.