Jun 1, 2011

Seattle Sketchers


I recently traveled to Seattle. Yun's brother lives there with his wife and son Logan. While I was there, I figured I would meet the famous Gabi Campanario. He is the person who created the Urban Sketchers. I had written to him saying I was coming. He told me that many of the Urban Sketchers who live in Seattle get together and draw on a Sunday every month. He arranged for me to be at one and meet everyone. You can imagine how stunned I was when 20 people showed up. One more talented than the next. A few of them were Mark Selander, Jackie Helfgott and Steven Reddy. Even Yun was amazed at lunch looking through some of their sketchbooks. We all went on the streets to draw together. This is my drawing of a church. Gabi has some art scene going on there. The guy is like the pied piper guru of artists. Gabi comes up with an idea and everyone will follow. Hell, even I find myself following the guy around. He is very impressive and at the same time very humble about it all. I for one am a huge fan of his and I was so happy to meet him in person. Yun and I got invited to his house to meet his wife and beautiful kids, Alex and Olivia. This whole internet thing is funny. Meeting people online and then getting to know each other by your work and blogs. It was overwhelming meeting so many people who knew Yun and I from my drawings and movies that I post. In some ways it's weird but in a lot of ways it's very comforting and rewarding too. My trip to Seattle was a great experience that said to me I'm doing the right things and there are people out there who appreciate what I do.

8 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

I, for one, appreciate very much what you do Tommy...even if you ARE a bit squirrelly :)

kane said...

A Bit? I am very very squirrelly.

Moish said...

Most of them are in Seattle, but there are some of us in Brooklyn that appreciate you work too.

Finello said...

It is so beautifull sketch i'd like to come to Seattle

-

Veramente un bellissimo schizzo, ti fa venire voglia di venire a Seattle

Melly Testa said...

Great post, Tommy. You sent me on a journaling jaunt.

Anonymous said...

you captured the seattle sky perfectly.

yun

taio said...

excelente post

Lisa said...

I love your video that goes with these sketches. Could you say who the music is by? I know it's Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" but I'm dying to know who the a capella group is.

Love your work.