Jan 2, 2011

Payback


Whenever I travel, I always make a ton of drawings. Locals are always coming over to see what I am doing. A lot of times shopkeepers ask if they could get a copy of my drawings. Especially if it is of their store. They always give me their information. The surprising thing to most people is that I always send prints to those who ask. It is part of my unwritten rule. It is a pain but I know people must freak out when it arrives. Such a thing happened in France. We stayed at Mount Saint-Michel. Everyday my parents and Yun would get coffee and a pastry in a little breakfast joint within the old walls. One day they saw me drawing the church which happened to be right across from their establishment. They asked to look at my drawings. I showed them what I had done. They were stunned. I told them I would send them prints, which I did as soon as I got home. A few weeks later a package arrived. I thought, who the hell is this from? When I opened it, I was the one who was stunned. It was the lovely people from the breakfast place. They send me beautiful tins of cookies made at Mont St. Michel. Half a dozen boxes. There was also boxes of caramels, books about St. Michel and also old postcards from the 1930's. Wow, I couldn't believe it. There was also a bunch of key chains from there too. No one had ever done anything like that for me before. Whoever said the French were a bunch of snobs who don't treat tourists well, haven't been to the places I have traveled to. People are great. That's what I say.

14 comments:

Furree Katt said...

this was really lovely to read! :)

Jake Page said...

good story. :) thanks for sharing

Peter Bangs said...

Thanks for that, it's a lovely and heartwarming story. I think most people's image of the French is based on Paris visits and Parisians. Parisians, like Londoners, New Yorkers and people of other key cities, can come across as rude, cold and snobbish. My own experience of the French and my faily's has been that they are warm and lovely people.

Bob Mrotek said...

Tommy,
I have never done that with sketches because my sketches aren't very good (yet!) but I do it with photographs. It is like leaving a piece of good will wherever you go. A few times I have received a response like you did and the feeling of love and connecting with people that washes over one is rewarding to the point of almost being overwhelming.

art is jokken said...

I enjoyed reading your story! I think it says more about you than about the French. Many people traveling in abroad compare their own culture with the local one and they do not try to understand ( or not by an appropriate way) that other folks can have completely different habits. What happens than- all kinds of "horrible" stories arise : French or...... ( feel free to fill in the nationality) are a bunch of snobs (or worse)

dominique eichi said...

fabulous post on your willingness to share and others' appreciation of it.
May we all lead by example as you did !

kane said...

I must have struck a nerve. Thanks for everyone sharing their thoughts.

Bob Scotney said...

Great post and a heart warming story.

Anonymous said...

Nice!
Ed Beard

SYLVIANE said...

Nice story!and I am French...

kane said...

Can't wait to return to France.

Aluisa said...

Your generous attitude,gives Wonderful experience !
Aluisa

"La vraie générosité envers l'avenir consiste
à tout donner au présent".[Albert Camus]

patmosphere said...

What a super idea!

meng said...

what a great story. i love it when people take the time out to do such sweet things.