Jan 22, 2011

Me Me Me


I must admit I watch The Real Housewives of Atlanta, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and The Jersey Shore. The reason I watch is because all the people appearing in these shows disgust me. It's three car wrecks I can't turn my eyes away from. All the people in these shows have one thing in common, entitlement. Each believes they are far superior beings to all others on earth. They are convinced they are on television because there was some great destiny for them. That it was only a matter of time until they were discovered. I know some people who have met the Jersey Shore assholes and they said that they are unbearable to be around. All of these reality shows have become so popular that I think they are spreading a kind of disease to the rest of us. Entitlementitis. Most people today sort of walk around feeling that they too should be discovered and put on a television show of their own. After all, inside they feel they too are better than the average Joe. I notice this in action when I am on vacation. At the great temples of Angkor Wat, there are certain sections that are roped off to the public. They don't want people to cause damage. Yet people have no problem jumping over the ropes and running all over priceless artifacts. They jump and climb all over the roots of the trees even though there are ropes letting you know to please not do that. Parents stand silent while their kids scream and yell and run all over precious objects. Taking pictures of their entitled selves. It is quite shocking yet not unexpected. Being Buddhist temples, people are asked to dress appropriately. No shorts or skirts. Women should cover up a bit more than usual. But no, when you get there the entitled people of the world do whatever they please. After all, they are future reality television stars. Unwritten rules are for other people, not me, me, me.

6 comments:

Helen Ström said...

Well, I've discovered that I feel the best when I reduce my time in front of the tv, if it's not for watching a very good movie that filles me up rather than empty my soul and brain!! We should respect the few things that are left in this world!!

Pascal said...

Very good piece of art and I enjoyed reading your statement!

evensketchier said...

Well put.

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother!!!!...We need to constantly be grateful that "WE ARE NOT LIKE THEM" who are walking around this world unaware of everything including themselves!!...if they were aware of themselves and their eyes were open they would not "perform" this way!!...Deep Breaths...

kane said...

I still watch though. I must be part of the problem.

SKIZO said...

Wonderful
work
thank you for sharing