Jan 1, 2011

King Tuk


I have a friend named George who is a great magician. He can do card tricks that are astounding. They seem so real that it feels like real magic is the only possible explanation for how he does it. The truth is that there is some kind of trick or slight of hand to each one of them. When I draw on the street, it too is a kind of magic trick. I take a blank sheet and make what I see in front of me, appear on the paper I'm holding. When I do my trick, there is no slight of hand. I actually have to draw the picture. People get to see my magic happen in slow motion. Cambodia was no different from any other Asian country that I've drawn in. The people go crazy for it there more than any other parts of the world. As I was drawing this tuk tuk driver, people started to congregate around me to see the show. They started to yell at the driver in Cambodian. I knew they were telling him that he was being drawn. That makes it harder for me because now that he is aware. He becomes too self conscious. He'd keep running over to see how it was going. Constantly changing positions. The people on the street were now all involved too. Shop owners were moving scooters and tuk tuk's that were in my way. That activity draws more attention and the pressure mounts on my drawing trick. The drawing came out fine but I was under a lot of stress to preform. Yun and I ended up riding around in a million of these tuk tuk's. They are essential to life there. One driver even brought Yun and I to his house to meet his wife and three daughters.

6 comments:

evensketchier said...

I'm loving your drawings of Cambodia. Takes me back. Makes me wish I drew more while I was there.

cArLa said...

great illustration! i hope you guys are having a great time in cambodia. the "tuk tuks" remind of the tricycles in the philippines - maybe when you get a chance to visit the phils. you'll also experience riding one of those!

Poppy said...

That sounds like a stress-filled drawing, it's lovely though.

kane said...

I can always deliver.

Anonymous said...

"Extreme Sketching" is one of your
many specialties.
Ed Beard

kane said...

You're right Ed. It should be a sport.