Sep 13, 2010

TGV Train


Because there were 5 of us traveling around France, it was not easy. We always had to split into 2 cabs. Once a cabbie dropped my dad and I in the wrong spot where we were supposed to meet the others who were waiting for us. We had to walk far and my dad's legs are not what they used to be. Someone always had to find a bathroom or wanted to look at some souvenirs. If it was just Yun and I we could get around and see lots of stuff quickly. Plus I would have lots of time for drawing. This wasn't the case. At least the train was a place where none of us could move for 3 hours. I made a real effort to show what was outside the window of the moving train as well. Of course, as I was getting into my drawing, one of the old folks wanted to switch seats with me. They didn't like the feeling of being in the seat that was going backwards on the train. So half this drawing was done without me being able to look at my subject.

2 comments:

Helen Ström said...

Nice to hear your stories about travelling and drawings. I for sure know the frustration of wanting to see the most and draw the most of it... but I never travel alone so most of the time it's diffucult to be "rude" and "close myself up" in my sketchbook. However travel is always a pleasure of course and charing it with the family or friends too. So, we can't have everything at a time...
I take pictures instead then, even if it doesn't have the same effect on me as drawings. Drawings leave a real memory of the place and moment and after I look often on my drawings... pictures are taken without seeing profoundly what I take, even if I try to compose and so like when drawing. I have the impression that I take the picture to get a print of what I could have drawn without realy looking at it at that moment, nor after... I rarely take the time to look at my pictures the same way as I do with my sketchbooks. Also when I look on photos of where I've been it seems unreal, when I look at drawings of where I've been I feel the same emotions again. Maybe someone else has experienced this?

Anonymous said...

Beyond any doubt blog with useful informations.