Aug 5, 2010

Writing


I am not a very good writer. I'm also not so terrible either. My writing lives in that little world between kinda sort of funny and mediocrity. David Brooks of the New York Times, now that's a writer. Years ago I used to read a tremendous amount of books. When I discovered drawing in them, I completely stopped the reading part. The one thing I do have time for is a bit of newspaper reading online. The Times editorial writers are the best. On television and radio these days, there are too many talking heads who are either far right or far left. They don't have any credibility because they only live on one side of the fence. How can their party always be right all of the time, every day of the year. Brooks on the other hand, appears to be a right leaning Republican. Yet he tore Bush a new a-hole for eight years. There are articles when he is completely and totally behind the democrats. By never really showing favoritism, he comes across as someone who's only after what's right. Not being very bright, I don't really form educated opinions about things. So now I read Brooks and that becomes my opinion. If I'm out with friends and they start talking politics, I just regurgitate Brooks. If you are going to regurgitate then regurgitate from the best, I always say. There my little secret is out of the bag.

6 comments:

Moish said...

I love the way you matter-of-factly say "Not being very bright...".
I think that's the brightest thing I've heard in a while.

kane said...

Matter of fact and true.

Deborah said...

Geez. I'd be careful about just taking on David Brooks' opinions. In fact he fully supported a lot of the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld bullshit, to the point of being an apologist for them. My impression is that he kind of learned a lesson from that - he began to back off of his Bush rocks stance somewhere in the midst of the awfulness. I agree with you that he has the rare ability to be circumspect - an admirable quality.

kane said...

Don't worry I still devour Frank Rich each week.

Tracey said...

You really captured his likeness, wonderful drawing.

kane said...

I probably didn't capture what's in his head.