May 7, 2010

Street Food


If you live in New York, you are used to there being lots of street food fairs. They start in May and go all the way until September. It's always the same stuff. Sausage and peppers, zeppoles, hot dogs, candy apples and corn on the cob. Not in my neighborhood. My block is all restaurants. There are the usual street vendors but they also allow the restaurants to do whatever they want also. There is a bar called PJ Hanley's. It's an Irish joint that takes their food seriously. The first thing they do is build a huge pit in the street. The begin roasting pigs very early in the morning. I sat and drew the owner, Peter. In my sketch is their rib smoker. I had it built out of a boiler from an old ship. The contraption is full of brisket and spicy rubbed ribs. They use big cleavers to hack them up. They serve pulled pork and beef along side giant orders of the smoked ribs. All the bars have tables and chairs on the streets with their kegs out front too. We sat drinking beer and eating our goodies. No hamburgers or zeppoles for us.

14 comments:

Jack Noel said...

Mr Kane,

I like your drawings very much. Are you using pencil crayons? Not many people do that these days, I like it.

You seem very skilled at getting the vibrancy of your colours onto the screen. When I scan a sketchbook page it all washes out to zero (like this)... have you any tips?

Jack

kane said...

Hi Jack. Wow, no one ever calls me Mr. Kane. I like that. I looked at your blog. Very nice drawings. When you scan them in photoshop, play with the curves, brightness and contrast. Make a couple of test versions darker. Then post all of them and see which one looks best. The ones I post are very dark and then when it washes out on blogger mine look good. You should also post your drawings bigger.

kane said...

Hi Jack. Wow, no one ever calls me Mr. Kane. I like that. I looked at your blog. Very nice drawings. When you scan them in photoshop, play with the curves, brightness and contrast. Make a couple of test versions darker. Then post all of them and see which one looks best. The ones I post are very dark and then when it washes out on blogger mine look good. You should also post your drawings bigger.

Stacey D said...

Sounds like you live in an awesome neighborhood!

kane said...

Now that I'm there.

Roadchick said...

It warms my heart to know that New York City has its own version of a pig roast. That's good eatin'.

Yun said...

it has got to be one of the best street fairs in nyc.

yun

Stephen Gardner said...

I have to get to know this place, beer brisket and ribs, you're talking my language. Great drawing as always.

Luis Rocca said...

Tommy, I was in NY some weeks ago and reading your post makes me feel there again!!! I went to NY exclusively to sketch and going to the museums. I went to Jazz & Sketch and Spring Studio for model sketching, both places were great!

larry said...

Nothing likes ribs cooked low and slow.
My mouth is watering.

kane said...

I'm still thinking about it.

PatriciaG said...

Love reading your posts. I was in your neighborhood a couple of weeks ago visiting a friend. She mentioned seeing your stickers.

http://melanietesta.com/mtype/

kane said...

Wow a sticker sighting.

Melly Testa said...

It would be Stickers sighting. And you must live around the corner. My man and I just ate tuna sammies from Frankies, my new sammie standard for tuna.