Apr 13, 2010

Natural History


I have spoken in the past about how I don't like going to museums. There is so much art in them that my eyes glaze over in two seconds. Plus I know next to nothing about art history. My favorite museum in the world is the Museum of Natural History in New York. It's filled with stuff a kid would love. That's me, a little kid. I would rather do my own art than look at it in some museum. The Natural History museum is just a big storage facility full of cool stuff to draw. I could spend the rest of my life drawing inside there. From now on if it's raining and I can't draw on the streets, I will head for this place. The dioramas are so frigging great. Actually I would love a job painting those things. As you can see I painstakingly tried to capture the feeling of this room. It will be the first piece in my portfolio that I show to whoever hires the people who paint the backgrounds of the dioramas.

17 comments:

Margaret Ann said...

Spectacular capture...OOOh, what a fun job that would be! :)

wandrson said...

Do they still have that blue whale suspended from the ceiling.

I can remember as a child, I would refuse to walk under it. Distrust of structural engineers from an early age...

kane said...

Blue whale is still there.

pau said...

maybe you can work as a security guard by night, like in the movie

then you could drawn all of these wonderful things in movement

beautiful drawing!

kane said...

Not a bad thought.

Chad Wallace said...

I'm with you Tommy, love that place. I did an Animal Drawing class there. You get to have the whole place to yourself after hours. Like you said, you can spend a lifetime there. Really great piece. Your enthusiasm is apparent.

kane said...

didn't know about that animal drawing class. Could be good.

Angeliki said...

Wow man...Just...WOW!!!

kane said...

Haven't gotten spammed in a while.

Jack Lugar said...

I was there this past December and it was a mad house. I was amazed at how many people were there. The exhibits were beautiful. Dum Dum was the highlight for my kids. I'll have to enjoy visiting the museum through your work since I'm in Indiana. I can't wait to get back there though.

SKIZO said...

Beautiful
Work
Greetings

mp said...

great drawing as usual! do you know brussels has a national museum for natural sciences that apparently the rest of the world envy us! keep up the good work and lovely spirit! cheers:)

kane said...

I'd love to come to Brussels and draw your sprouts.

DamiĆ£o Vieira said...

Good thinking to art.
The design says it all.
I love illustration and design, but i have no more to invest, study and have someone teach the
base in order to go further. As I admire the
your work, and make that a profession should be a
dream, because I have to go "from stone" to have
some, that is not the best thing in the world.
Thanks for having Kane as a follower on my blog,
has also stuck to yours.
I wonder how he discovered my blog, sorry to
question.
Can not understand something, it was translated by
Google, because I know little English.
Regards.

elvia montemayor said...

Oh, I just love this sketch. I think is one of my favorites from all that you have.

Ulrike said...

I really love all your drawings, but I especially love this one.

I'm usually the other way round: I love art museums but usually avoid natural history museums because they seem dead. But your post has made me reconsider this view.

Anyway, I enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

i am professional designer, maybe you like to publish some of my images? i think it would be neat for your page :-)
absolutely admire your blog! send me a email please in case you want to colaborate