Apr 13, 2010

Buttermilk


Yun and I moved into our new neighborhood a few years ago because it was a bit rundown. We liked the edginess. Slowly that is evaporating and it is starting to become fancier. That's good and bad. It's harder to find a parking spot and developers are always threatening to make giant yuppie condo skyscrapers. The other thing is the sudden appearance of upscale restaurants right next to bail bondsman storefronts. The most major one is called Buttermilk Channel. This is a drawing of the place in the early morning. It's named after a little body of water that separates Governor's Island from Brooklyn. How such an out of the way place has become so hot is beyond me. Whenever Yun and I leave our apartment, we see tons of people mingling out in front of the joint. Lines that seem to be hours of waiting. Yet no one budges. The food is excellent and we have eaten there on many occasions. Doug is the affable owner and Yun and I know him. It seems most of the neighborhood people know him too. The cool thing about the restaurant is that unbeknownst to waiting patrons, Doug actually slides in neighborhood people before the other knuckleheads. It is all done on the sly in a quiet way. Before the owner knew us, we would always be greeted with, "one hour wait." Now Doug sees us out the corner of his eye. There is a subtle nod. Boom, a table. Now that is the way things should operate. And in Carroll Gardens, they do.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checked the menu out. I see why there are lines. Ed Beard

Julie Broom said...

Hi Tommy, congratualtions on a great blog. I've been following for a little while but haven't left a comment before. This study really caught my eye - the scene totally reminds me of Edward Hopper's early Sunday Morning one of my favourite paintings :-)

kane said...

This is very Hopper influenced. Good one Julie.

Dzhony_df said...

Людьми в доме не пахнет... Окна такие одинокие... безлюдные...
Клево!

kane said...

I agree.

ryan said...

live about a block away from buttermilk and have to wait an hour [for dinner] every time...... haha wtf

kane said...

gotta meet Doug.

Steven said...

Fantastic!

Melly Testa said...

You tease me! My husb and I live on the same street as Leo's a now defunct bar joint. A sneeze from Buttermilk...

kane said...

Leo's was a strange place indeed.