Dec 24, 2009

Really Being Green


I'm not sure if people realize this about me or not but I am truly out of my mind. Take this drawing for instance. This is not some cute little drawing of Seoul. It's the view out my 14th floor window of the Ritz Carlton. Each morning I would do a little more of the sketch. Why I am insane is because every detail is correct. That's right, I drew every building exactly as it appears. No skimping. I go to great pains to make it as accurate as possible. I don't need to do that. Most people would just get the essence and then fill in any old buildings quickly. No me. I have mental issues. There is one cool little tidbit I will share about Seoul. Notice most of the rooftops are painted bright kelly green. When I would look out my window, it was like staring at hundreds of little tennis courts. They also paint the floors of every parking garage kelly green. One day I even saw a few guys freshly painting the floor of a garage green. Each one is so clean and shiny and of course, green. Seoul is a feast for the eyes. All the houses in and around Seoul have little garages for their cars. The only problem is that they are so small that you can only close the door if you own something tiny, like a mini cooper. As you walk around you see cars partially sticking out of garages. The garage door only half closed. It is quite funny and also somehow charming. I love that place.

16 comments:

Victoria Stitch said...

I think this is spectacular!

John Woolley said...

If you want to see insane building landscape detail, check this guy out: www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk

Anonymous said...

You are crazy good! And psychic, too. You answered the questions that I had in my head about how you did this.

I have more, though. Do you imagine the whole scene in your sketchbook beforehand? I would just be lost or overwhelmed with all those spatial relationships. Do you have any tips or secrets?

Thanks for sharing your amazing sketches. Always inspiring.

Sheila E. said...

So Cool! I've always wanted to visit and I'm thrilled see it from your awesome sketches and blog. Thank You!

Lauren Tobia said...

ha ha love it there is nothing like a bit of fab drawing OCD :-)

Gillian said...

Amazing - such detail. For some odd reason I can imagine this as a bird's eye view of Springfield (?)from 'The Simpsons'. It's true to life but abstracted in some way. I love your artwork!

kane said...

I have been doing this for so long, that yes I do imagine exactly what it's going to look like on the page. And I can pretty much do it. The one thing is, when I finished it in black and white, before I began to color, I really loved it. I stared at it for a day and wondered if I should paint in the color. At first I thought I made a mistake coloring it. I didn't like it as much as the B/W. It took a while to take shape. then I began to dig it. If I wasn't in Korea, I would have scanned it in black and white too. There was no scanner so I just colored it and took a chance.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your answer. Yeah, I can see it looking very interesting in black and white, too. Those crazy green rooftops are fun, though.

tommy kane + rooftop + dancing + (drawing) = next video!

cartoongoddess said...

You're not insane, just anal retentive and that's A-OK. Your drawings are marvelous!

kane said...

Anal retentive is not an issue. That's a blessing.

Jisoo said...

Hi! I love your illustrations. I am a Korean-American who was born in Korea so I am even more psyched that you are capturing a bit of my birth town.

jungmin said...

just saw ur lil film on LCSV4.Loved your sketches of our country and had to come an take a look at your other works.
I'm assuming you can't write korean and it intrigued me how
precise your korean alphabets were~ Hope you had a great.

Mark Hill said...

I love it when folks say obsessive like it's a bad thing. Beautiful drawing Mr Kane!

Felicity said...

I keep coming back to this one, it's just amazing! On the screen it revealed itself slowly, getting closer to the foreground, and it just got better and better!

debbie ding said...

Found your page by googling for "green roofs in seoul". Love your illustrations! Incidentally I also do drawings like that (isometric style) and also find myself unable to just fill in the essence of the area but have to sit there and draw each house precisely for hours even though its painfully tedious and unnecessary.

Do you happen to know why the roofs are green? Or sometimes blue as well? I would like to find out but I dont know how I can find out more....

Anonymous said...

I am curious to find out what blog platform you're using? I'm having some small security problems with my
latest site and I would like to find something more safeguarded.

Do you have any recommendations?

my website - m88