Dec 24, 2009

Monkey Business


Buddhism is big in Korea. So as you can imagine there are a lot of monks strolling around. Men and women. All have shaved heads. It is sometimes hard to distinguish the men from the women. The best part is their clothes. They dress in grey from head to toe. Not just any grey. One that is very beautiful and elegant. They wear special hats, shirts, jackets, pants, gloves and shoes. All of them carry a beautiful little grey knapsack. It is very simple and the straps are made of thin rope. My producer asked if Armani had designed their outfits. They look so stunning that it gives them a certain air of sophistication. Whenever I ran into one they always took the time to smile and bow towards me. Who could not like people like that. I loved to visit the big temple in Seoul. It's called Jogyesa. Next to it was a building that always seemed to be crawling with monks. I'd stand next to the place and get my smiles and bows. With my head shaved and all, I think a few may have thought I was a buddhist. I guess in some ways I am.
The original of this painting is for sale in my shop if anyone is interested.

13 comments:

Rosa Phoenix said...

Tommy, even when your drawings have no apparent sign of "life" (people, animals, plants) they are always very lively. You have a way of giving everything a personality, even signs, buildings, chairs and manhole covers.

kane said...

I'm the giver of life.

Kwil said...

the detail in this one is just incredible!

dominique eichi said...

Great piece............How long did it take you to make this drawing ?

joseph's art and stuff said...

really enjoying these korean posts! i do love those power lines!

kane said...

This one took about 3 hours.

Anonymous said...

I want not approve on it. I over nice post. Especially the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

Jas said...

Tommy, Awesome stuff. Bringing back great memories for me. If you check this, let me know WHERE this was drawn. It reminds me much of a spot in Taegu, but I suppose many city corners in Seoul and Taegu look very much the same. Thanks! -J

Yun said...

tom wasn't in Taegu but only in Seoul. My mom is from Taegu, and tom's father was there during the war.

Jas said...

Thanks for the reply.

Isabel Forbes said...

She arrived at her new home safely and is loved. Thanks for sharing!

jodie said...

for my art i decided to study your paintings because i like your style any tips on how i can create paintings of styles like you?, and i was wondering could i ask what helps you to create your paintings where is your inspiration from?
thankss.

SKIZO said...

Fabulous.
see you