Nov 28, 2009

Good Restaurant


One afternoon I drew a small restaurant on the block where I was doing a photo shoot. When I had finished I asked a girl who worked in our Korean office if she could come with me to the restaurant and help me find out who I could send prints of the drawing to. Natalie and I entered the restaurant. It was very beautiful. Seemed more like someone's house than a restaurant. There was big wooden sculptures and fantastic old paintings everywhere. The walls and even the ceilings were covered in old Asian fabrics. We were greeted by an old woman who owned the joint. I showed her my drawing and Natalie proceeded to talk to her in Korean. She said the old woman was stunned by my drawing and more so by the fact I was going to send her free prints. She said it was going to be framed and hung in the main room. She also said there was no such thing as a free gift in Korea. On my return in a few weeks, she said I must stop by and she would make me an incredible dinner. On the house. Recently she had seen a French film about a maid who makes paintings in her free time. The title was Seraphine. It's about how close genius is to madness. In the end, the maid goes mad. The old woman said she couldn't believe she was just so wrapped up in this story about someone who paints and then I walk into her restaurant and give her this drawing. I said it was like a premonition. Natalie translated what I said. The woman told her she got goosebumps when I said that. A lot of things can happen by just making a drawing. It's like that all the time for me. By the way, I ended up giving her the original painting.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice!I Love hearing about when you do stuff like that.
Ed Beard

Gillian said...

What a lovely story and a great drawing. Simple acts of kindness are like ripples in the waters of humanity.

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

Your post made me feel all warm inside :)

kane said...

I'm like the Easter bunny.

joseph's art and stuff said...

very cool story, art, and post. very inspiring! how was the food? i love a good korean meal.

gitsul said...

Great story. Great painting.

dominique eichi said...

wonderful drawing . I'm sure the food was very good. And yes there are no coincidences..........ever.

kane said...

People loves to get free stuff.

inksplodge said...

You're not like the Easter Bunny, you are the Christmas Bunny...uhhm!

Anyway, it was cool and warm and fuzzy at the same time.

spacedlaw said...

Wonderful story! and it looks like a great place to eat too.

kane said...

I'm a playboy bunny.

bathmate said...

That’s looks so nice your posting.
Everything looks good in your posting.
That will be necessary for all. Thanks for your posting.
Bathmate

kane said...

You guys should watch that depressing movie.

Motumbo said...

Tommy, just finish watching "Tommy Kane Draws Korea." Wicked. You're getting better and better on the film making.

terga said...

damn.

I love irregular lines.

good job.
cheers.

Q.