Nov 9, 2009

Cheese


The other day Yun and I were in Washington Square Park in Manhattan with a friend. Our friend asked a complete stranger if he would take a photo of the three of us together. Of course the stranger obliged. It's a scene we've all seen played out a million times. Being in advertising, I hang with a lot of big name photographers. Several times I've been on the street and sure enough someone will ask if one of us can take their photo. Of course the photographer always does it, not me. We never tell the person, "oh by the way, you've just been photographed by one of the world's best photographers." I've often wondered how many times someone asked Irving Penn or Richard Avedon if they could take a photo of them with the empire state building behind them. They would never know that Annie Leibovitz just shot them in front of some dumb fountain. Also I wonder would the photo look the same as a dumb photo I would take in the same situation or would they get home and look through their photos and suddenly realize that one shot was far greater than all the rest. "Wow, look at this one shot. It's the one that strange woman with the big nose took of us in front of that fountain. It's so amazing. Golly Gee, I wonder who she was?"
Somehow I don't think that would be the case. I'm sure it would look just slightly better than the photo I would take. Anyway these are the kinds of thoughts I have in my head as I walk around the city.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Ahahahaha... Nice and fun history.
Great draw...like always :)

spacedlaw said...

Either that or the picture would have something special and therefore might be disregarded as being all wrong by the model...

Melly Testa said...

Such a big city and a small city, all at once. Up for figure drawing at Smith Street Studio on Tuesday evening? Danny G and his son *may* go too.

kane said...

Sounds good. I didn't know about it.

Melly Testa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melly Testa said...

It is actually Spring Street Studio:
http://www.springstudiosoho.com/
which I keep confusing with Smith street here in Brooklyn