Oct 20, 2009

Blockhead


My new thing is to draw and paint on a watercolor block. It's my first time trying such a thing. As some of you may know that's a bunch of watercolor pages glued together to form a block. As you paint on it with water the page does not buckle or wrinkle up. It's stays nice and flat. When you are finished and it's all dry, you can easily cut the page out. Then you can work on the next one. I like the firmness of the block. For an Urban Sketcher it's like having a little drawing table. Here is a sample of one I did at Craig Cutler's photo studio. It's the view out his window.
Another thing I'd like to mention is about mistakes. If you look at the lower set of stairs on the fire escape. Just to the right you see 2 lines drawn that are at the same angle as the lower stairs. That is a huge mistake. It was where I was originally going to draw that set of stairs. All of a sudden I saw that I put the lines in the wrong place. Because I never use a pencil, I had 2 choices. Put the stairs in the wrong place where I began or put them in the right place and have 2 strange lines on my drawing. You can see what my choice was. I'm sure no one noticed. Being an artist, as we all know, means constantly making mistakes and living with them. Mistakes are my friend and I love them dearly.

10 comments:

Kwil said...

I have grown to love most of the mistakes I make in my pieces as well. All add something different, something extra, that "je ne sais quoi". Usually I am the only one who can see them anyways.
I will always be my own worst critic!

I love this one. The detail from the stairs to the ornate overhang.

Woody said...

I'm not good at this stuff but one thing I learned early on is when things go wrong just keep going anyway. Most times it turns out ok. BTW the reflections in the windows are cool.

dominique eichi said...

such great reflections and their color is also wonderful. Very nice piece

kane said...

The more you get comfortable with mistakes, the better.

karolyn said...

Your work is really cool!

BELLASTELLAGIRL said...

How weird is that? Once pointed out, I looked for the mistake, but have to admit it looks more like a suggestion of shadow rather than form.

The perfect image, light reaction to chemicals is for cameras. Art, with all it's variation is for human beings.

Melly Testa said...

No so huge. Lines are lines. If you hadn't pointed it out I would not have questioned it. Your color is good and color draws the eye first, in my opinion.

kane said...

I pointed it out to show how i work, with no pencil.

Robert H. said...

I love that quote "Mistakes are my friend and I love them dearly."

I find in my photography I always strive for perfection. Perfect focus, exposure, composition, light, etc.

But when I sketch I am always making little mistakes. But it's those mistakes that make my sketches unique and more of an interpretation of what I am observing, rather than an exact duplication.

Your work really inspires me.

Thanks!

kane said...

mistakspiration.