Oct 21, 2009

Blemish Removal


As an art director I do a lot of photo shoots. Next to the photographer, the most important person is the retoucher. Years ago people would spend hours in the darkroom dodging and burning prints to get just the right effect. Now it's all done in photoshop. In the professional world, it has been taken to new heights. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 retouchers working while we are doing the actual shooting. Retouchers are like film editors. A great one can really effect the end product. I like to hang with them because they always show me brilliant photoshop tricks that I forget an hour later. They told me not to use levels or brightness, contrast. They do everything with curves. I asked one guy if he retouches all of his photos when he comes home from vacation. He laughed but in a way that said, well yes he sort of does. Now that's anal retentive. Just like me. That's why I get along with those mothers.

5 comments:

Marcia said...

I do "retouching" for a living, but I think I've only met an art director passing in the hallway. They call us "mac artists". And none of our stuff is retouched live.... What a difference in work flow! BTW, I work for a fairly high-end retailer, not Wal-Mart.

kane said...

I dig retouchers, they know stuff.

Michelle said...

Beautiful art..

Cosmin Unguru said...

Since you're line of work involves dealing with hundreds of photos, on a daily basis, I wander if you would need a solution to eliminate the repetitive and mundane tasks (like watermarking, resizing, converting, and so on)? I humbly suggest our own solution, BatchPhoto ( http://www.batchphoto.com ). If interested please contact us from our site.

crazylady said...

Did this guy grow up in a small town in Wyoming? He looks familier.