Aug 17, 2009

Dumbo


This is one of the most famous landmarks in the New York City area. You've seen it in a million movies. The camera pans along the street and suddenly you see the the towering Manhattan bridge at the end of the block. Francis Ford Coppola's, Once upon a time in America, for example. As I was drawing this, hundreds tourists came by to gawk and take pictures. Every guide book on the planet must say to go to this exact spot and take a photo of yourself. I must admit it is pretty cool. The problem for me is that I become the tour guide. The guy sitting in the middle of the street with his folding chair is the person everyone asks for directions. Excuse me, where is Water Street? Do you know where the flea market is? Of course, I help everyone. Most take a real interest in my art also. It's fun to be where all the action is sometimes. This was one of those days.

11 comments:

kate b. said...

nice drawing. i'm sure you're a splendid tour guide

Alina Chau said...

beautiful !

Jassy Lupa said...

I am coming to NY city the week of Sept. 10th and hopefully I will run into you drawing somewhere so I can bug you for directions. I am taking part in A Book About Death, which opens at the Emily Harvey Foundation Gallery, Thurs. night 9/10, at 7. Beside the opening and a party for mail artists, I will be doing the museums. My own personal art pilgrimage to the city, which has been a long time coming... CANNOT WAIT!

spacedlaw said...

That's the problem with drawing in the open...
Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I like the Magilla to Dumbo transition.
Ed Beard

dominique eichi said...

Wonderful piece. Your patience is worth the effort.

kane said...

Another one I suffered in the blazing sun.

MarceloJ Bresciani said...

Nice job Tommy!

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

I think this is one of my favorites of your architecture drawings. The different darks and lights on the bridge coupled with the blue and that fantastic orange are really working for me.

jizogarden said...

very wonderful :)

eda said...

情趣按摩棒,自慰套,角色扮演,按摩棒,跳蛋,情趣跳蛋,

.,
情趣,G點,性感丁字褲,情趣,角色扮演服,吊帶襪,丁字褲,情趣用品,無線跳蛋,男女,
按摩棒,電動按摩棒,飛機杯,視訊,自慰套,自慰套,情趣用品,情趣內衣,

潤滑液,SM,內衣,性感內衣,自慰器,充氣娃娃,AV,