Aug 14, 2009

Cartoons


I watched hours and hours of cartoons as a kid. Unlike the way people think, I was not just mindlessly staring at the tube. What I was doing was studying carefully how it was done. The brilliant writing and great gags. I was studying the editing and timing of the routines. Today in my job of coming up with clever ads, I still reach back into the old bag of tricks I learned studying Bugs Bunny, Felix the Cat, George of the Jungle, Huckleberry Hound, and Tennessee Tuxedo. These great cartoons were made by adults who were trying to crack themselves up as well as little kids. So today when I watch a little Spongebob, I can can see the care and genius that goes into it. Right now millions of little artists of the future are staring at LCD flatscreens preparing themselves for a life of creativity.

11 comments:

john woolley said...

Magilla looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Peebles would be proud. Not to mention Ogee.
Ed Beard

kane said...

I know.

girl*in*gear studio said...

I still watch cartoons as a part of my "research" for work. Then I post on Facebook about my workday and all of my friends are jealous that I can watch cartoons and call it research. :-) Love your work, Tommy.

kane said...

Yes cartoons as research. I think it's a tax write off.

Terry Banderas said...

Terrific post, Tommy. The entire layout is great. Magilla is awesome!

inksplodge said...

That was one of the best things about having a child - watch cartoons with him.

Doug Cloud said...

Ah, those old cartoons. What memories. I was inspired by the same cartoons myself, and the comics of Walt Kelly and Charles Schultz.

Don McNulty said...

I sometimes walk around the house imitating Mr. Magoos voice, love this post, "eh my boy".

kane said...

Cartoons are the best. Too bad they don't play them before movies in the theater anymore.

spacedlaw said...

Great gorilla.