Aug 26, 2009

500


First off, this is my 500th blog post. A lot of energy goes into coming up with all that nonsense I write about. Butch Belair and I went to the High Line in Manhattan to draw. There was old abandoned elevated train tracks on the westside. It looked like a highway in the sky. Someone had the bright idea to make it into a park. It's quite stunning. Butch and I sat on these big rows of benches that lead down to an overpass above 10th avenue. They cut big holes and put in glass so people can watch the cars and pedestrians go by. It's very cool. We were sitting just below the walkway. As you can imagine, once our drawings started to take shape, hundreds of people would look down over our shoulders to see what we were up to. We had to draw under constant scrutiny. At one point there was a large group standing two feet above our heads. One really loud lady was commenting to the group about my sketching. She said and I quote. "Look at how he's drawing. He draws EXACTLY like me, with a pen on paper." The sun was beating down on our necks. Got me a nice farmer tan. We had over picture taken by tons of tourists. If only they knew the drawing was for my 500th post. The lady probably has a blog EXACTLY like mine too.

17 comments:

kate b. said...

i loooove this drawing. and i have been trying to find time to get to the highline.. maybe now since the blistering heat has broken ill try a bit harder! i'd like to see butch's work from this too

Lariane said...

Congratulations Tommy - of all the Blogs around yours is one that could never be classified as containing 'non-sense' Your artwork is stunning and your words always concise and informative - keep up the good work - as for 'exactly like me' - now, I'd like to see that!

kane said...

Maybe she was Robert Crumb's mom.

snowman30 said...

i love that spot on the highline.
congrats on the 500th.
snow

Ron said...

Great drawing Tommy. Keep up the good work on the blog!

inksplodge said...

This is such a cool picture (for a cool blog). Your work is so unique - and yet you always manage to produce something with new and different elements. Wonderful work.

raena said...

How funny! Only, not so, because this is the very thing that keeps me in my car or hiding in a discreet corner! When drawing in public, I can't relax and I draw way too fast! Now, if a crowd were behind me too? Gah!

This is a fantastic sketch! I love the color.

joseph's art and stuff said...

excellent work and story! wish i could go out in public and work... i'm too worried i'd run into someone, just like her! Always a pleasure seeing your art!

kane said...

I do enjoy the public drawing. Yes I'm pretty good so I am showing off. I think you just need to care a little less. Most people can't draw a straight line so they are amazed by anything. The more you do it the more comfortable you get. people will be excited about your motivation. Plus you can show off your cool folding chairs, pens and watercolor sets. People always want to know about that stuff.

Christina said...

Parabéns, Tomás(Congratulations, Tommy). One day I'll get to my 500th drawing . So far, I've not been able to fill the sketch book I began in February. But I'll keep trying...

Commuter's Journal said...

Congratulations on your 500th post! Your story made me laugh. When did drawing become a spectator sport? (Unlike our poor Mets who have become an accident report.)

Looking forward to your next 500.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 500th!
Ed Beard

Absolutely Small said...

Congratulations on your 500th post! That's huge! I always enjoy your drawings. They are really wonderful!
Too funny about the woman who draws "just like you". It's so strange what gets into some people when they're around artists.

eda said...

情趣按摩棒,自慰套,角色扮演,按摩棒,跳蛋,情趣跳蛋,

.,
情趣,G點,性感丁字褲,情趣,角色扮演服,吊帶襪,丁字褲,情趣用品,無線跳蛋,男女,
按摩棒,電動按摩棒,飛機杯,視訊,自慰套,自慰套,情趣用品,情趣內衣,

潤滑液,SM,內衣,性感內衣,自慰器,充氣娃娃,AV,

abstract canvas said...

Well done, keep up the good work!

canvas print said...

Wow great picture, good job!

John said...

Awesome post, thanks a lot for sharing this with us!